Are you Middle Aged

larryd:
You know you are middle aged when you just got a shot of 'Prevnar 13' (Our latest purchase $100 each). :confused:

I had mine a couple of years ago for free. (Another benefit of the NHS).

Robin2:
I wonder if it is the same as the difference between Sainsburys and Waitrose supermarkets? It is said the main purpose of Sainsburys is to keep the riff-raff out of Waitrose.

(Apologies if the analogy does not make sense in OZ).

...R

It would be Coles/Woolworths/Aldi and David Jones Stores here in Victoria, OZ.
Tom... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
It would be Coles/Woolworths/Aldi and David Jones Stores here in Victoria, OZ.

You still have Woolworths? They went bust here, about 5 years ago.

You're middle-aged when you actually had active MySpace account.

It had been that long since MySpace was decent, and some of my friends were on it with me. I don't know if my account is still up but I changed so the background music were of crickets.

wilykat:
You're middle-aged when you actually had active MySpace account.

You know you are middle-aged when you go to clean the mouse ball and wonder where the mouse cable went and where is the PS2 socket on the computer.

VIC20...
Them Commodore 64 + Amateur Radio Packet Wireless, TMC3105 1200baud modem chip and an IC211

Yayyyyy.... good old punch cards... Fortran... HPBasic.... Elton John.. Suzi Quatro....
(I think I'd better stop there!!)

:slight_smile: :o :slight_smile: :o :slight_smile:

travis_farmer:
LOL :smiley:

i just found THIS. remember the days of loading a program from a cassette tape? this project should be Arduino compatible, with a bit of thought. if i could find my old cassette tape player/recorder, it would be a neat nostalgia project. :smiley:

~Travis

Z80 evaluation board and VIC20...
I think the encoding was called Manchester ...

I remember punch cards and cassette storage and feel nostalgia for neither.

groundFungus:
I remember punch cards and cassette storage and feel nostalgia for neither.

Some of the die-hard railway modellers use the chads from punch cards to add individual bricks to model buildings.

Not sure where they get them from nowadays.

...R

Not sure where they get them from nowadays.

Florida?

You might have to be middle aged to get the reference.

groundFungus:
Florida?

You might have to be middle aged to get the reference.

IIRC there were only a few spare ones in Florida - that's why there was a row.

...R

OMG

Repaired card punches and readers for many years.
Each time I left those friging punches, my hands were cut and bleeding.
We punched more than 100,000 cards per day.

I feel old.

Punch cards go back a long way and a lot was done simply by mechanically sorting the cards without any involvement of computers. There are allegations that IBM helped the Nazis use punch cards to identify racial groups.

I have used a twin tape cassette system to remotely enter programs for batch processing. It was really quite good. You locally typed in the Job Control Language (JCL), your program and data. Mistakes were corrected by editing between the two tapes. In preparing the tape you had to predict exactly what information the remote computer would require. Once you had your tape prepared you would dial the remote machine and hit play. A high speed (1200 baud :slight_smile: ) conversation would then take place between the tape machine and the remote computer, which saved expensive telephone time.

Does anybody remember storage tube displays?

Hi.

In 1801 the Frenchman Joseph Marie Jacquard invented a power loom that could base its weave (and hence the design on the fabric) upon a pattern automatically read from punched wooden cards, held together in a long row by rope. Descendents of these punched cards have been in use ever since (remember the "hanging chad" from the Florida presidential ballots of the year 2000?).

The Macclesfield silk museum has working Jacquard looms and lots of great information about the process, including the design of the patterns and creation of the cards.

...R

It says "http://PunchCardReader.com". That's a funny anachronism.

Middle age - When I realised the people telling me to turn the music down were younger than me.

msssltd:
Middle age - When I realised the people telling me to turn the music down were younger than me.

At least they recognized it as music!

ChrisTenone:
At least they recognized it as music!

There is nothing worse than Gregorian Chanting at 03:00 in the morning.