Go Down

Topic: Powering the Arduino UNO with battery (Read 13192 times) previous topic - next topic

GianniSA

I wanted to make my UNO portable and pre-programmed so I am searching of ways to implement a battery. Does anyone have an suggestions as to how to power this thing up without being connected to a laptop via usb or a wall socket?

Thank you in advanced  8-)

GianniSA

Is there nothing connected to the Arduino that also needs power?

uhh.. I hope this clarifies what you're asking.. The only thing connected to my uno is the breadboard circuit.

GianniSA

If you want to figure out what kind of battery you need, you must know two things:
1)  How much power everything is drawing.  You don't know that. Or at least you haven't mentioned it here.
2)  How long you want this to operate between battery charging or replacing.

Also helpful to know:
3)  What kind of constraints on size (volume, weight) you have for this project.
4)  Whether you want to use rechargeable or replaceable (non-chargeable) primary cells.

1) I am not sure but I can find out, to give you a visual its simply just 12 pins used with 8 leds and 4 pushbuttons.

2) Not applicable as I just want to demonstrate this once.. For instance like carrying a 9v battery and just plugging it in when i need to use it. A single demonstration will take less than a minute.

3) just a breadboard and the UNO with some compartment for the battery.

4) i imagine just using a 9V

thank you for the fast response

GianniSA

Vin referenced to the ground pin above it?

GianniSA

Thank you for your help, I am new to this hardware/software thing. I'm kicking myself because of the level of ignorance i am at, but thats why im practicing xD

retrolefty

These battery cables ( http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-9-Volt-battery-adapter-Arduino-/270616862179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f02059de3) can be a little more secure then just stabbing wires into the Vin and ground pins. Keep in mind if you try to power more then around 4-5 leds your voltage will start to sag as the current capacity is pretty poor with those batteries plus they really are expensive (around $2.50) for the little mah ratings they supply.

Lefty

GianniSA

These battery cables ( http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-9-Volt-battery-adapter-Arduino-/270616862179?pt=LH_Defaul...) can be a little more secure then just stabbing wires into the Vin and ground pins. Keep in mind if you try to power more then around 4-5 leds your voltage will start to sag as the current capacity is pretty poor with those batteries plus they really are expensive (around $2.50) for the little mah ratings they supply.

Is it possible to find these at any electronic star (aside from the price)?

retrolefty

Is it possible to find these at any electronic star

I'm not familiar with "electronic star" ?

GianniSA

retrolefty

I gave up looking for electronic parts at stores a decade ago, just to few stores left, poorly stocked, over priced, etc. I buy on-line only unless it's some kind of emergency and a local Radio Shack might have it, other then that on-line and e-bay are your friends.

Lefty

wgarrido

Dec 02, 2010, 05:23 am Last Edit: Dec 02, 2010, 05:27 am by wgarrido Reason: 1
What I am going to do is get a lithium battery from sparkfun.com and a charger so that it can last a long time on battery. Also it could charge while in use. In my case I am getting the 6Ah battery.

I am hoping that I can find a solar panel that can charge during the day as well.

Go Up