Help!

Arduino know-it-alls-
I am searching for a birthday gift for my fiancé. He is fairly new to the arduino world, he recently got his own for Christmas. However, he is finishing up his Engineering Physics degree, with a focus in Electrical Engineering, so he isn't really starting with very basic projects. They've used arduinos in class a lot the past few years.

I know nothing about these things.. the best idea I've had so far is to get him the storage box! ha

Is there anything that has proven immensely helpful? Or even something that's just novel and fun to have. I know he is interested in programing the thing with sensors and being able to control his light switch with his phone (?) and he's also mentioned something about making me an infinity mirror.. whatever that means?

I'm sure you now understand how clueless I am about this world.. therefore any ideas or product suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

If he has already some ideas for projects, he probably knows what to buy. You could give a few things, while he has other ideas. There are many Arduino boards, and many compatible Arduino boards.

Adafruit has a Arduino compatible Feather Bluefruit : Adafruit Feather 32u4 Bluefruit LE : ID 2829 : $29.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
It comes with libraries and if you buy the RGB led strip with it, it should be up and running in no time.
But perhaps he rather have a few sensors, because it is not cheap.

By the way, an RGB led strip (a strip of leds that can be set to any color) is also often used for an infinity mirror.

Something novel ? I don't know. It's all about Bluetooth and Wifi these days.

Can you give him a box of chocolates and money to buy something ?
Or something basic, like a solder iron or a multimeter. A good quality solder iron or multimeter can last for 30 years.
What are your interests ? Perhaps indoor plants ? then he could make something to warn you when they need water.

Do you know what sort of things he might use an Arduino for - what are his other interests?

• Gardening?
  • Model Railways?
  • Music?
  • Home Automation?
  • ?

I hope he appreciates that you had the interest and nous to ask for advice here

...R

Thank you for the adafruit tip, I will check it out!
I know tonight he said something about a wanting some sensor kit, and motors, DC motors or something? His mom is getting him a soldering iron at his request.

Home automation is the one closest to describing him from that list! He is currently working with a professor on a research project that is programming sensors on a helicopter so that it can fly by itself.. something about mimicking insects swarming ... I know I sound like I listen to nothing about his life.. but I'm in the Bio/Chem field so all of these electronics words go right over my head.

He also just got a bluetooth module and some LEDs in the mail today if that means anything to ya.. this guy is obsessed now, lemme tell ya!

Techies and engineers usually like medium roast 100% Kona coffee. :slight_smile:

I don't know what your budget is but maybe a small oscilloscope or logic analyzer would be useful. I bought myself one of these tiny DSO203 o'scopes - I only use it occasionally, but it can be very useful. However there will be lots of advice in favour of more accomplished instruments.

PS that is not the exact link where I bought mine (I have forgotten).

...R

If my fiancé got me a gift certificate for Adafruit or Sparkfun, I would have said "wife" instead.

ChrisTenone:
If my fiancé got me a gift certificate for Adafruit or Sparkfun, I would have said "wife" instead.

So, what did she give you and what did you say ? :slight_smile:

...R

Robin2:
So, what did she give you and what did you say ? :slight_smile:

...R

The day is not until Sunday. I don't think I'm getting anything remotely related to electronics tho ... :frowning:

ChrisTenone:
The day is not until Sunday. I don't think I'm getting anything remotely related to electronics tho ... :frowning:

Happy Birthday.
(It seems safer than "Happy Valentine's Day" :slight_smile: )

...R