Full-colour RGB 4x4 button pad (monome-esque)

A._Square

After that, I need to start thinking of ways to use the color on a button-by-button basis

Since i came across your project I had a couple of thoughts about ways that the monome sequencer/sampler patch 'mlr' could be modified to make use of the RGB leds.

I guess you already know, but just in case; mlr evenly 'splits' up audio files into rows of buttons (each button representing a diff offset from the start of the sample).

Using a max object link bonk~ it would be possible to analyze the slices and send colour information accordingly.

For instance it would be possible to check whether there was a significant transient close to the beginning of the slice or not. So in the case of drum beats it would be possible to colour the buttons representing main rhythmic accents differently from the others.

It may be feasable to figure-in an analysis of the frequency content of the transients too, so you could see which button represents a kick or a snare for instance.

Another, simpler, modification of mlr could be to colour entire rows based on a special prefix/suffix detected in the sample name. This way the user would be free to create a categorisation system for himself, and name different types of samples accordingly. Sample files ending with '_p', for percussive loops, could be configured to use red light. Bass-heavy samples '_b' might be blue, etc.

I'm watching your blog with interest :slight_smile: