Timestamping with sensor inputs

I want to start a project with a load cell and I want the load cell to output a value into a serial monitor on my computer. One of the problems I'm running into is that the project requires the serial monitor to show the time. I was thinking a timestamp or something. Is there another application I can use? Or is there a way I can use my PC time, timestamp each output? I do not want to use the milli function either.

What you want and what you need are two different things :wink: If it's just a relative time, use millis().

You can add a RTC; there is also a software RTC library (simulating a RTC).

RealTerm is an alternative to the serial monitor; it seems to support timestamps but I run an older version and can't test. If your OS is not Windows, you might have to search for alternatives that support timestamps; google e.g. terminal program with timestamp and add your OS.

And lastly you can write a application for the PC that adds a timestamp when it receives data.

Yes. Simply ditch the serial monitor and use a proper terminal programme instead. I use RealTerm, there are others, all free.

You can then timestamp each line of data using the PC clock. You can also (gasp!) record the data to a CSV file.

Another option is to use PLX-DAQ, which enables Excel to work as terminal. also with built-in timestamping and recording. It can also give you live graphs.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=437398.0

My ESM4 has sample code in the download for getting time & date from a PC into the Arduino and also automatically getting the monitor to put in a timestamp. You may also find that ESM4 will do a lot of what you are trying to achieve.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=500805.0

YoungsterSP:
I want to start a project with a load cell and I want the load cell to output a value into a serial monitor on my computer. One of the problems I'm running into is that the project requires the serial monitor to show the time. I was thinking a timestamp or something. Is there another application I can use? Or is there a way I can use my PC time, timestamp each output? I do not want to use the milli function either.

Hi,

This might be a solution for your Problem too

regards