Qn about understanding capacitance meter code

Hello everyone, I have a question about the code found in the tutorial section of the site regarding a capacitance meter. The code is:

/*  RCTiming_capacitance_meter
 *   Paul Badger 2008
 *  Demonstrates use of RC time constants to measure the value of a capacitor 
 * Theory   A capcitor will charge, through a resistor, in one time constant, defined as T seconds where
 *    TC = R * C
 *    TC = time constant period in seconds
 *    R = resistance in ohms
 *    C = capacitance in farads (1 microfarad (ufd) = .0000001 farad = 10^-6 farads ) 
 *    The capacitor's voltage at one time constant is defined as 63.2% of the charging voltage.
 *  Hardware setup:
 *  Test Capacitor between common point and ground (positive side of an electrolytic capacitor  to common)
 *  Test Resistor between chargePin and common point
 *  220 ohm resistor between dischargePin and common point
 *  Wire between common point and analogPin (A/D input)
 */

#define analogPin      0          // analog pin for measuring capacitor voltage
#define chargePin      13         // pin to charge the capacitor - connected to one end of the charging resistor
#define dischargePin   11         // pin to discharge the capacitor
#define resistorValue  10000.0F   // change this to whatever resistor value you are using
                                  // F formatter tells compliler it's a floating point value

unsigned long startTime;
unsigned long elapsedTime;
float microFarads;                // floating point variable to preserve precision, make calculations
float nanoFarads;

void setup(){
  pinMode(chargePin, OUTPUT);     // set chargePin to output
  digitalWrite(chargePin, LOW);  

Serial.begin(9600);             // initialize serial transmission for debugging
}

void loop(){
  digitalWrite(chargePin, HIGH);  // set chargePin HIGH and capacitor charging
  startTime = millis();

while(analogRead(analogPin) < 648){       // 647 is 63.2% of 1023, which corresponds to full-scale voltage 
  }

elapsedTime= millis() - startTime;
 // convert milliseconds to seconds ( 10^-3 ) and Farads to microFarads ( 10^6 ),  net 10^3 (1000)  
  microFarads = ((float)elapsedTime / resistorValue) * 1000;   
  Serial.print(elapsedTime);       // print the value to serial port
  Serial.print(" mS    ");         // print units and carriage return

if (microFarads > 1){
    Serial.print((long)microFarads);       // print the value to serial port
    Serial.println(" microFarads");         // print units and carriage return
  }
  else
  {
    // if value is smaller than one microFarad, convert to nanoFarads (10^-9 Farad). 
    // This is  a workaround because Serial.print will not print floats

nanoFarads = microFarads * 1000.0;      // multiply by 1000 to convert to nanoFarads (10^-9 Farads)
    Serial.print((long)nanoFarads);         // print the value to serial port
    Serial.println(" nanoFarads");          // print units and carriage return
  }

/* dicharge the capacitor  */
  digitalWrite(chargePin, LOW);             // set charge pin to  LOW 
  pinMode(dischargePin, OUTPUT);            // set discharge pin to output 
  digitalWrite(dischargePin, LOW);          // set discharge pin LOW 
  while(analogRead(analogPin) > 0){         // wait until capacitor is completely discharged
  }

pinMode(dischargePin, INPUT);            // set discharge pin back to input
}

Particularly this bit

void loop(){
  digitalWrite(chargePin, HIGH);  // set chargePin HIGH and capacitor charging
  startTime = millis();

while(analogRead(analogPin) < 648){       // 647 is 63.2% of 1023, which corresponds to full-scale voltage 
  }

elapsedTime= millis() - startTime;
 // convert milliseconds to seconds ( 10^-3 ) and Farads to microFarads ( 10^6 ),  net 10^3 (1000)  
  microFarads = ((float)elapsedTime / resistorValue) * 1000;   
  Serial.print(elapsedTime);       // print the value to serial port
  Serial.print(" mS    ");         // print units and carriage return

Can someone explain why the elapsed time bit is outside the {} for the while loop? Am I right in thinking that this means that analogRead is constantly reading until it's >= 648?

Could this also be done similar to:

while(analogRead(analogPin) < 648){
        do something
}

if (analogRead(analogPin)>=648){
      do something else
}

I'm not great at programming and i'm trying to understand this as i'm doing something similar but i'm not getting what I expect. I haven't posted it because it's for a uni project and would rather understand the issue so I can implement it.

Am I right in thinking that this means that analogRead is constantly reading until it's >= 648?

Yes, exactly. "While analogRead is < 648, do nothing. Then see how much time elapsed waiting for that to happen."

That while loop in the original code simply spins until the condition to break the loop is met - ie analogRead returning >= 649. They record the start time just before the loop, and then the time again right after the loop breaks - and a simple subtraction shows you how long the loop was spinning waiting for the condition to be met.

You pseudo-code is similar, however you need to consider the case where the while loop breaks and then the thing you're reading immediately goes back to < 648. Your if test will fail. The window for this to happen is small, but it could happen and bugs like that are tricky to find!

No replies in hours - then 2 within 11 seconds!! :slight_smile:

pocketscience, that could be what is happening in my code for mine. I'm a hardware guy and fairly new to software so i'm still learning the nuances. :stuck_out_tongue:

I'll mess around a bit more and change my while bit to more like the original code and see what happens. I might be back. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the help guys.

:slight_smile: