Xbee Baud Rate

1. to me, you have one of the worst designed XBee shields there is. They say "level
    shifters" but I'm not sure they really are. Other boards have better level-shifters.
    [of course, everyone has their own opinion on EVERYTHING in electronics].

2. it also looks as if you may have an older [?] or newer [?] XBee shield than is currently
    shown on the s-f site, so who knows what's actually on it. Some of the older s-f bds had
    no level-shifters at all. In any case, the XBees run at 3.3V and Arduino at 5V, and you
    cannot interface them directly without damaging the XBee. On S1 modules, the Din
    pin is not 5V tolerant.

3. as lefty indicated, since your shield has a cross-connection switch on it, you need to make
    sure it's in the correct direction for the Rx,Tx connections.

4. the XBee S1 series come pre-set for 9600 bps [at least they used to], so your terminal s.w.
    needs to be set there.

5. I would try a terminal emulator not XCTU and not the Arduino Serial Monitor. First make
    sure the the PC is finding the CORRECT comport.

6. if everything is wired right, and baud set right, you need only type in "+++" and the
    XBee will respond OK.

7. the other problem some people have is some Arduino bds may not be able to supply enough
    current for an XBee, but I think you're ok here. You might check the 5V and 3.3V levels at
    the shield.