What do you guys use to create models?

I have few projects in mind. Projects like a skittles separator by color. My problem is, I have no idea how to create the model... (the material part. The part where electronics get in). I heard many people use 3d printing for that, but that's not a way for me. So what alternative do I have?

I would suggest using sheet metal (hvac stores), wood (home depot), or acrylic sheets (amazon) or even old enclosures or plastic boxes, etc. It all depends on how much you want to spend and what tools you have.

I've actually been trying to get into this area myself for my next project. 3D printing would be nice but I have no experience with using one nor do I wish to spend a lot of money on one just yet.

I bought several acrylic sheets off of amazon for real cheap and they come in different colors

I've been trying to figure out how to cut/work with them though.

I have been thinking of getting a rotary tool so that I could cut it easily and drill holes for standoffs, though I also found out that you can use simple acrylic cutting tools to score the sheet and then break it apart. Don't know how well that will work for me because I need smaller parts (2" by 6") though I think it would work fine.

Some advice I've obtained upon researching this topic, buy extra sheets of acrylic so that you have room to practice cutting and figuring out how to use whichever tool you choose.

Good luck!

For small stuff like that, you'd be amazing what you can do with some stout cardboard, razor blade, and hot glue. When your project is done and if you decide to make it better, you already have cardboard templates for the "nicer/sturdier" material you choose. My first project after the starter kit was a dog biscuit dispenser. I did not even glue it. Scotch tape holds it together. Friction fit 16x2 display, and a button and a pot poke out the top. A square, disposable, plastic container - something I bought came in - is the housing for a big button my dog hits to dispense a biscuit. It is not pretty, but before spending money, I know it will be functional, and you also have a game plan so you do not waste the "good stuff" with a bad or unplanned cut or something.

sethwilliam:
I bought several acrylic sheets off of amazon for real cheap and they come in different colors
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FLYDRY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been trying to figure out how to cut/work with them though.

Depending on the thickness, I believe you can score them and snap them with a Razor blade. I do, but I think there are different types of acrylic so, DO NOT do it with one you ordered without a little more research. It pays to spend extra time to clamp a guide for your razor down. It will also help with a cleaner snap. There are probably youtube sample you can watch. To drill through them, start with a small bit and increase the bit size slowly until you get to the hole diameter you want. Drill sloooww, with a firm scrap board underneath to support.