Do you have any information about this 2 digits segment ? [SOLVED]

hello guys,
i need please some info about this 7 segment 2 digits display because their is something wrong with the server so i couldn't download the datasheet from the website of the dealer and i didn't find anything by searching google so if anyone does have any info about this one that could help me find and download the datasheet or if you have the datasheet please let me know

here is the link of it and i uploaded some images :

http://www.ekt2.com/products/productdetails?ProductId=be2704fe-15ba-4582-9f2d-5e49eeb0eace

Is there a part number on the side?

It appears to have 10 pins so likely a set of 8 for the segments and two more for the digit commons. You can experiment with a 3V battery to see if it's Common Anode or Common Cathode and what each of of the pins connects to.

it's BS that's all i got written on :S
as you've seen in the website BS/FS

johnwasser:
It appears to have 10 pins so likely a set of 8 for the segments and two more for the digit commons. You can experiment with a 3V battery to see if it's Common Anode or Common Cathode and what each of of the pins connects to.

i did experiment with it !! but unfortunately i couldn't find out which pin is common cathode or anode and which ones are for segments !!
i never worked with the 2 digits or more but for sure it doesn't work as the 1 segment !!

i am not being able te determine how does it work with both digits !! 1 digit alone is working fine but the other when i attach it to the +5 so both same segment from both digits are one !! so how is that ?!

Connect the + side of the battery to one pin. Connect the - side to each of the other pins. If nothing lights up, reverse the connections.

If, as you move the connection to each pin, the same segment lights on two different digits you know the two common pins and their polarity and the polarity of the segment pin and which segment.

If, as you move the connection to each pin, the segments of one digit light in turn you know the common pin for that digit and its polarity. You also learn the pin for each segment. The one other pin that doesn't light a segment is the common for the other digit.

Hmm, nice a link on that shop that doesn't work.

But you can find a hint in that non working link.
Because it points to some datasheet which is named "23_7C__0.28_C.A_DUAL.pdf"
The hint is in the C.A in that name, it lets me guess this is a common anode type.

the link now at this moment is not working for me 2 it was a while ago

ok @John what's happening is this: i connected the first pin to GND and one of the pins to arduino so one of the segments lights up, so i connected one other segment to the same arduino pin and it lights up (the same segment for both digit)
so now what i change the ground to another pin, and i changed the arduino pin to another one, another segment lights up !!

i am really messed up and frustrated of this !! i am not getting how it really works !! do i have to connect each of the display pins to gnd ?!!!

if you have a good video tutorial about this i would be thankful because i couldn't find any good one !!

If it is indeed a common anode, then yes you need to put at least 1 pin to 3 volts and another one to GND.
You can find out what pin(s) is common by tying one pin to 3 volts and testing every other pin to GND.
Make a note of what pin makes what segment light up.
Because of the number of digits, segments and pins, i'm guessing that you will find a common for the first digit plus dot, another for the second one, and 8 segments/dot.

Do not connect it to your Arduino pins untill you have figured out which pin does what.
And if you don't have anything but 5 volts, use a resistor while testing so you won't blow up segments.
Just try to keep your cool and test every possible way to connect the display.
And again: make notes on every step you take.

MAS3:
If it is indeed a common anode, then yes you need to put at least 1 pin to 3 volts and another one to GND.
You can find out what pin(s) is common by tying one pin to 3 volts and testing every other pin to GND.
Make a note of what pin makes what segment light up.
Because of the number of digits, segments and pins, i'm guessing that you will find a common for the first digit plus dot, another for the second one, and 8 segments/dot.

Do not connect it to your Arduino pins untill you have figured out which pin does what.
And if you don't have anything but 5 volts, use a resistor while testing so you won't blow up segments.
Just try to keep your cool and test every possible way to connect the display.
And again: make notes on every step you take.

ok great i will do it again just with a battery of 6V and resistors on every pin
and about the programming thing ? i saw a program somewhere while searching i guess it's a hard thing to do not as easy as the single digit at all !!

firashelou:
and about the programming thing ? i saw a program somewhere while searching i guess it's a hard thing to do not as easy as the single digit at all !!

Don't guess too much and never assume.
A single digit can be controlled by 8 outputs.
This one could be by 9 outputs and some extra transistors, or 10 outputs.
If you have 10 outputs available, you can still use 8 of those for other stuff as long as you're not lighting those segments.
To do that, you would be multiplexing, and you always have to have 1 output to enable the common pin, and at least 1 other to make a segment light up.
First enable the common pin for the first digit, and set the segments, then switch that common off and enable the second common and its segments.
If you do not enable any common pin, you can use the 8 pins for the segments for other purposes.
Switch on the segments and common for enough time to see them being lit (without flickering).
I won't tell you it's easy, but it can be done.

You can also decide to use some external components like a 74..595 and control that one through a 2 wire connection.

well yes i found out it's not easy at all
what happened is (i guess it's what your saying) :
i connected all the 10 pins to arduino all of them , and then i found out that pin 6 and pin 10 are the ones that control if the 2 digits should light up or 1, so from there i started to put high and low and experiment with it until i found out how to display some letters like A for example and so one

:%

Well, as long as you documented your results you've got yourself a nice base for your future sketch.
:wink:

By the way:
You can make your hard work to value for some others that are struggling with this display by describing the pins in this thread.

ok yes your right i will as soon as i finish everything about it and i am thinking of writing a library for this 7 segment and wired in the way i did it to get the results i got :smiley: :wink: