Google Chromebook and Arduino IDE support

magicmike:
Thanks. So that's a "No".

New question: Is it possible to have a web app write to a USB or serial port easily? It must be ..... but how?

So if I write a web version of the Arduino IDE (which for the UI part looks like a lot of work, but not particularly hard), how would this talk to the USB port on the Chromebook?

More info: I've read this is possible in Flash, but I don't know flash. Is it possible in Silverlight || C# || Python || Javascript ?

Cheers

PS: Maybe I should retitle this question "web version of Arduino IDE" ?

I wouldn't be so quick to say "No" - Chrome OS is the "officially supported" version of Chromium OS, which is the open-source, Linux-based version:

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os

I have no doubt that once the Chromebook devices come out for general purpose, that you will see people hacking them, getting them to run anything and everything. While I doubt that the general community for Chrome will create a custom form of avr gcc (and all the other parts) for it, I'm sure there will be at least one person here that will do it.

Give it time. I wouldn't even bother with buying one at first anyhow, unless you are an "early adopter" kind of person, or you need it for a specific reason or such. Personally, I wonder why they only went with 3G (when everything else is moving to 4G) - if I ever decide to get one (heck, I don't even use my eeePC), it wouldn't be until it support both 802.11n/g -and- 4G at once (then again, I can't afford another data plan - my G1 sucks up enough of my money as it is).

:slight_smile: