A question about Arduino VIN

Hi
I have follow this guide many times to create a standalone arduino.

It works very good.

That I do is that I start with the guide to create a basic start so my atmega328 have power and working, after that I start add the button and LED and that.

Now I have a little problem, I was thinking about make a LANC remote with this guide

but that have connect the power to Arduino VIN?

My question is that instead to connect all my positive (+) to a power source like I do in my first guide, shall I connect them to the +5 in the ring like a VIN and the ground to the ring ground in the plug?

I mean is arduino VIN similar to the VCC, AREF and AVCC that I connect to my power source?

I can guess that ground go to the ground but the other I'm not sure??

I hope someone can tell me if that is right or wrong?

Vin is just the raw voltage applied, before it is regulated down to 5v and 3v3.

So, if you used a power adapter pf 9v into the DC Jack then you'd have that 9v appear at teh Vin pin.

You could also take your 9v directly to that pin, instead of using a barrel jack.

hmm ok so I have to maybe scale down if I going to use it on VCC, AREF and AVCC ?

I mean if I read the scheme right the plug can have 5-8v??

cazz:
hmm ok so I have to maybe scale down if I going to use it on VCC, AREF and AVCC ?

If by "scale down" you mean ensure your input voltage is 5V, yes. If you have an external 5V source you can use that without regulation in the same way as the 5V is drawn on the Arduino design directly from USB. Be sure to refer to the datasheet for the particular ATMega you're using for the range of acceptable voltages allowed at VCC.

Cheers ! Geoff

cazz:

6-20vdc.
7-12V recommended.
Lefty

strykeroz:

cazz:

If by "scale down" you mean ensure your input voltage is 5V, yes. If you have an external 5V source you can use that without regulation in the same way as the 5V is drawn on the Arduino design directly from USB. Be sure to refer to the datasheet for the particular ATMega you're using for the range of acceptable voltages allowed at VCC.

Cheers ! Geoff

hmm ok, then it is a good idea to use a 5v voltage regulators to be sure.

retrolefty:

cazz:

6-20vdc.
7-12V recommended.
Lefty

Hmm what??

You are not reading the schematic correctly. You need at least 7V on the input of a regulator before it works correctly.

Ahh sorry.

Then I have to read how much it is in my LANC. I maybe can use it anyway or I have to use a battery instead.

Where you have VIN, replace it with VCC, and VCC should be below 5V.

On the arduino board, VIN is before the regulator - so the 7805 regulator has an IN, GND, OUT - Out is always 5V, IN is "Vin".

ok

I have read how much my LANC give ~5.56v, maybe a I can add a 5.1 Zener Diode to be safe?

5.1 have to be ok for a ATmega328, I think I have read it work with 4,5-5,5v but I'm not sure.