Quick question - maximum value

Hello,

Just a quick question, is there any way to pick out a maximum value from a list of numbers, like, maybe 100 numbers, maybe more, maybe less :slight_smile:

I know there is the max() function, but it only seems to determine the maximum value between two numbers.

Thanks in advance.

Seán

What your asking for is fundamentally a sorting function with variable size as the selection order. Search on sort functions and see what comes up. Knowing how large the number set can get is probably key to selecting the best method.

Lefty

Cool, thanks ...I will do.

The range of numbers will be variable, but I'm sure I will find something.

Thanks again.

Seán

Sorting not necessary if we just want the maximum. Assuming the numbers are in an array, something like this should work (compiles, but I didn't test it):

int myNumbers[100], maxValue;
    //assign values to myNumbers somehow
    maxValue = myNumbers[0];
    for (int n=1; n<100; n++) {
        if (myNumbers[n] > maxValue) maxValue = myNumbers[n];
        //or, instead of the if statement above:
        //maxValue = max(maxValue, myNumbers[n]);
    }

There may be elegance or performance gains to be had (if you care) by doing this as you load your array. i.e. while you're getting these numbers from whatever source & putting them in the array, check each one against the current max as in Jack Christensen's example.

o.fithcheallaigh:
Hello,

Just a quick question, is there any way to pick out a maximum value from a list of numbers, like, maybe 100 numbers, maybe more, maybe less :slight_smile:

I know there is the max() function, but it only seems to determine the maximum value between two numbers.

Thanks in advance.

Seán

Isn't this one of the first exercises when you are learning how to program any sort of processor?

bubulindo:

o.fithcheallaigh:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Seán

Isn't this one of the first exercises when you are learning how to program any sort of processor?

Obviously, not for me :slight_smile:

And Jack Christensen, thanks, I will see if I can get the values put into an array, and see what I can do.

Thanks.

You're most welcome, be sure to consider wildbill's suggestion too, elegance always trumps brute force! You also said the list might not be of constant length, so another variable may be appropriate to hold the length of the list. And if for some reason the max can't be calculated as the data is stored in the array, then use that variable as the upper bound in the for loop in my example.

Jack

I'll keep that in mind XD

Dunno how much elegance my code will have. I am still very much learning. But the more you know, the better you get.

Thanks again.

Seán