Good luck all of you guys on the East Coast :-(

Southeast Michigan here. Not expecting anything too extreme, but I saw one prediction of waves up to 22 feet on Lake Michigan around Chicago. That is pretty unusual. Planning to head out shortly and stock up on petrol for the generator just in case the remnants of Sandy cause any outage here.

They are now saying 31 feet on Lake Michigan, hope they are all wrong, like the tsunami warning yesterday for Honolulu, that ended up a 2 foot wave ....

@Jack (et al)
Keep us informed how things work out there.

good luck!
Here in the Netherlands we seldom have storms like Sandy (why must I think of Olivia NJ), but floodings are unfortunately too familiar

We're quite a ways inland, on the rare occasions that we do get "remnants" of a hurricane, it's usually not distinguishable from just the average rainy spell. This one is sounding like it'll be above average, especially where wind is concerned, but I'm not overly worried. Folks out East will bear the brunt of it. Crossroads will probably see much more than we will, and I think he's a bit North of the worst part.

30 miles inland here, wind blowing pretty good. Some rain too.
Another heavy band of rain about to hit.
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx

Hi Jack, it seems like its around your way at the moment, although reduced to 75 mph, and Crossroads in Boston area caught the edge ?

3 to 5 million without power this morning must include a lot of members of this group.

At least we are getting a break from the elections on CNN !

Quoted time for generators to keep datacenter powered during electrical outage: 36 hours.
Actual time generators were able to keep datacenter powered up: 15 minutes.

What's wrong with storing the diesel for the generators in the basement? Should we not have done that?

Still alive here! Rain coming down pretty good. Not so windy now.

Have you got power?

Doesn't always matter...

Category 1 wind speeds without the hurricane.

Hurricanes. That's why we left Houston. Blech.

I'm glad y'all are doing OK.

Wowsa. That's quite a picture. The way those trucks are laying is amazingly consistent.

We didn't lose power, just flickered a few times. Not like last year, when the power went out 6 hours before the storm even got here.
Bit windy at times, and rainy. Most of the storm stayed southwest of us.
300K+ are without power, and coast had some good flooding.

Spectacular explosion in NYC - seems a substation blew up, many folks will be without power for a week+.

Back in 2007 we had heavy rain (for us!) and flooding which resulted in, amongst other things, an embankment supporting a main road to partially collapse leading to one lane being closed for safety reasons. It's now 2012 and it is still closed...

I suspect that the damage caused over there will be repaired somewhat quicker?

Usually: Hurricane Irene did Huge damage in rural Vermont last year, lot of washed out roads, wooden covered bridges, and isolated towns.
Parts of that are still recovering.
Winter snow storm last year took out power for 3+ weeks in parts of the state.

CrossRoads:
Spectacular explosion in NYC - seems a substation blew up, many folks will be without power for a week+.

An unconfirmed report is that it was actually some kid calling himself cjdelphi fooling around with electrolytic caps.

Heard on the radio on the way in that a 2nd town in New Jersey is up in flames, reporter said they are unable to get to it to fight the fire. Lot of homes lost.

pico:

CrossRoads:

An unconfirmed report is that it was actually some kid calling himself cjdelphi fooling around with electrolytic caps.

LOL XD

Getting ready to go donate blood today. I'm not well off but I do have blood.

That is awesome GoForSmoke. +1 for you.