Building an Audio Analyzer with Matrices and Mega2560 / Uno and FFT and Op amps

Does anyone have any good code or schematic using LM386 / LM358 op amps to interface the Arduino Uno or Mega2560 and then to display a nice output on a matrix or matrices for an audio analyzer...I know FFT will need to be calculated....

FYI: LM386 isn't an op amp.
Here is a project build with NE5532, UNO and 74HC595+ULN2008:
http://coolarduino.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/tears-of-rainbow/

LM386 isn't an op amp.

It depends on your definition of opamp. LM386 certainly has the same building blocks as an opamp (linn 3-stage topology) and can be used as one.

My bad, a low power audio amp......still has an inverting and non inverting input....just doesn't run off of - V like a 741 does.......same thing if you ask me.....

There is a definition from wiki:

An operational amplifier (op-amp) is a DC-coupled high-gain electronic voltage amplifier with a differential input and, usually, a single-ended output.[1]

Having gain 200 LM386 can't be called op-amp, most regular BJT has more gain.
There is obvious similarity between them, but following this logic we should see no difference between a tiger and a cat, both have a lot in common, four legs, tail etc.

Having gain 200 LM386 can't be called op-amp

google "open loop gain" vs. "closed loop gain".

Also, pick your favorite opamp and I can tell you that its (open loop) gain can be less than 1x. Are you surprised?

Are you surprised?

Not at all, show me LM386 with open loop configuration.

Not at all,

Does that mean your favorite opamp isn't an opamp by your own definition?

show me LM386 with open loop configuration.

Not possible.

Not possible.

If there is no LM386 with open loop configuration, than you shouldn't bring this argument (open/ close loop ) in discussion. It's not related. I don't know what is the definition for infinity:

An ideal op-amp is usually considered to have the following properties, and they are considered to hold for all input voltages:
Infinite open-loop gain (when doing theoretical analysis, a limit may be taken as open loop gain AOL goes to infinity).

IMHO, infinity is starting from 10^5.

If there is no LM386 with open loop configuration, than you shouldn't bring this argument (open/ close loop ) in discussion. It's not related.

It was to show you that the 200x gain for lm386 is closed loop gain. Comparing that to an opamp in open loop, or a transistor in open loop, makes no sense.

A 800x (hFE) transistor can have a (closed loop) gain < 1x, for example.

apples vs. oranges.

It was to show you that the 200x gain for lm386 is closed loop gain.

Again, not related. We don't care why it's only 200, if it made and sealed, and there is no way to unrolled it back. What is "operational" means, that you can design a feedback (negative/positive) in a variety ways, to create any math "operation" - differential, integral or proportional. The higher gain, the easier it could be done. Device with low gain is not "operational". Just amplifier.

What is "operational" means, that you can design a feedback (negative/positive) in a variety ways, to create any math "operation" - differential, integral or proportional.

That definition is valid as long as you get other people to accept it.

The higher gain, the easier it could be done.

google "open loop gain" and "closed loop gain".

Device with low gain is not "operational". Just amplifier.

Every opamp has gain < 1.0x, and by your definition, they shouldn't be called opamp.

Take some good EE101 will help.

Every opamp has gain < 1.0x

Which one?
Part number, plz, data sheet and reference link. Have you read a wiki?

Take some good EE101 will help.

I'm an Electronics Engineer. You?

Which one?

Any opamp.

Name your favorite opamp and I will show you how to get it to <1x (open or closed loop) gain.

As an "electronics engineer", you should have known something that basic.

Name your favorite opamp and I will show you how to get it to <1x (open or closed loop) gain.

I know how to get a gain lower, using negative feedback. Besides, why would I need an amplifier <1x? I wish you show me how you can design two basic blocks :
log amplifier

or any useful filter

with LM386?

I know how to get a gain lower, using negative feedback.

Again, name your favorite opamp and I can show you how to get its open loop gain down to 1x (or any number you wish to have).

No negative feedback. How's that?

All you need to do is to name your favorite opamp.

If you don't know what logarithm means, there are some books available:

Again, just name your favorite opamp and I can show its gain < 1x (or 200x if you prefer), without using negative feedback.

Does that make your favorite opamp not an opamp?

Okay, I'll play, configure a 741 op-amp for a DC open loop gain of 1 with no external components.

The LM386 is not an op-amp. It is a PGA at best.

Ok damn guys....this isn't a see who pees farther contest...

I'm an Electronics Engineer as well.

I will say my favorite op amp to use is the LM358 but if I'm using one for multiple I/Os, I would use the LM3900.....However since I'm trying to tackle my original question.....using FFT to calculate a good audio analyzer output interfaced by the arduino...I know its possible and using the LM386 (Low power audio Amp) is what I have in mind.....

I hate op amps that need that negative supply i.e. 741

I just don't want negative gain I know that much so interfacing either amp via its non -inverting input (Rf / Ri) + 1 = Av (Gain)

now interfacing its output to the arduino via an analog Input and then interfacing that to maybe some LED drivers (Max7219s) to drive LED matrices......