Northern California / Silicon Valley  - repre

So I've made it through a few tutorials and now I can blink leds like mad. Any local interest in having a few beers and bouncing ideas off each other? ~ bob

How local to you is TechShop?

Its a reasonable driving distance. Is there something happening there? I'd make the drive if there is. ~ bob

I'm there with the Sequoia High School Robotics Club most Sundays from 12:30 to between 2:30 or 3:00. We're using arduinos and variants a lot. Would be glad to chat while I'm there, in between helping club members.

Or getting together some other time would be cool.

Well, there's an event this Saturday (the 4th) at TechShop...called a Project Kickoff where you can roam around and gaze at equipment, talk to people about how to accomplish your projects. Oh, and also free delicious BBQ.

I'll probably stake out a workbench on the main work area and fill it with random electronics gizmos, if you bring your Arduinos and laptops then it'll be an Arduino party. I have every possible electronic part, and the junk wall supplies 1000X more.

Ah, have fun and I'll be sorry to miss this! I'm down in Orange County for my nephews bday.

Perhaps I'll see y'all some other time

I'm in Santa Cruz!

I live in the east bay, is there anyone in the 510 or 925 willing to get together? If not i'll drive to SF if there is something going on there.

Hey, I'll be teaching a 2 day workshop on the Arduino in SF athe the end of Dec. I'll be covering basic digital and Analog IO, Led's, Servo and Motor Control, Sensors, Serial Communication with software like Max/MSP and Processing.It will be hosted at the Bay Area Video Coalition. I'll Post the Details in a new thread.

Best, Mark Hellar

Hey redstars, I'm in the east bay, in P-town 925-AC. Just getting started with the Arduino and shields. I have hardware and building skills but need some time or help on the programing side. Did not enough hours around the holidays to start up anything fun. But thing are opening-up now.

Cheers, Barry C

Hey Mark H, Saw your weblink at bavc sounds like a fun job. Is the bacv going to be showing off stuff at MakerFaire this year?

Keep in touch, BarryC

There's a lot of ways to learn how to use the arduino. That's one of the great things about it. Work through the tutorials. Head over to instructables.com. Ask specific questions on the forums.

And ... to shill for a class I help with ...

TechShop (www.techshop.ws) runs an arduino class once or twice a month. I'm one of the folks who leads it. Feb 22 will be a build and use class. After that it will split into two classes, one for building and another for using. If you can't wait, sign up for the Feb 22 class and you'll end up with another arduino to use in projects (actually, a modern device BBB board). Otherwise, wait till March and take just the using the arduino class.

I'm there with the Sequoia High School Robotics Club most Sundays from 12:30 to between 2:30 or 3:00. We're using arduinos and variants a lot.

Cool. I donated a Freedunino and enough parts for at least one more to MA FIRST team last summer, but I don't think they've figured out what to do with them (FIRST seems to use heftier hardware, and I'm not directly involved with their team; my daughter isn't interested. I just dropped off goodies and documentation and ran away :slight_smile:

The new 2009 FIRST controller is a beast, with a lot more horsepower than an arduino. That said, if you wished, you could offload some processing to an arduino. Not that I can see much need to do so ...

Sequoia Robotics works with Woodside and Carlmont as part of Team100 so we're in the midst of it ourselves.

So at sequoia there's a robotics club separate from the robotics team? huh.

Nope. Sequoia Robitics is the robotics club. During FIRST, we work with Team 100.