Go Down

Topic: what i have been up to, thus far. (Read 9759 times) previous topic - next topic

travis_farmer

it is a 29' camper with dual axles, and as i am taking out all the interior walls, and only putting back one wall, the weight savings should make up for it. also, the water and holding tanks will all be kept empty, so that saves weight too. at some point, i will have to take out the stabilizer jack stands, and weigh the tongue weight to make sure the front isn't too light by having the CNC in back.

as far as weight from the new wall support and roof, all i can do is hope. ;)
chances are, it likely won't move much. when i am able to buy a house of my own, it will be towed there, and be parked. (the new neighbors will love me ;) )

~Travis
Current Obsession: My server rack cooler, and my CNC Router
Check out my website, i have my own under-used forum on my hobby server.

travis_farmer

I have installed the new stepper motors onto my CNC. they spin freely (no power applied), and no binding at all. now i just have to wire up a test rig to verify everything moves as it should. I have the motors wired bi-polar parallel to take advantage of the extra holding torque. I understand it will draw more current, but presumably my stepper drivers can take it, if china didn't screw me over on the ratings.

I don't have any limits wired yet, but that should be easy later. my primary interest is to establish the lead-screw rates so i can make notes for setting things up later.

~Travis

travis_farmer

well, my CNC moves! :D
I haven't established the settings yet, as i just got it hooked up enough to test it. it moves slowly, but it is also only running on a temporary 18V 20A supply. i have 36V supplies on order. i could also play around with the micro-stepping settings to see what works best, though that may be better to wait for the PSUs to arrive.

but it is great to see it moving! :D

~Travis

MAS3

Did you also order the ear plugs ?

Don't forget those.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

Qdeathstar

Post pics and vids. The story aint as good without pics and vids.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

travis_farmer

Did you also order the ear plugs ?

Don't forget those.
I have over-ear hearing protection, but it wasn't necessary for the test run. the router is not attached yet.

Post pics and vids. The story aint as good without pics and vids.
my camera doesn't do video. my dumb phone does, but it is kinda crappy. i will see what i can do later on today. i can do some pictures too.
as the tarp still covers the back portion of the camper, i will need to drag in some lighting to take a video.

I have to do some more demo on the camper internals, but i will leave the test rig hooked up, as i still need to take some notes on a few things (and a video).

~Travis

travis_farmer

crud, forgot to make a quickie video with my dumb phone...

anyway, i have about 90% of the internals of the camper torn out. bit of an ugly smell when i pulled the toilet off the floor. plugged the hole with a wad of fiberglass isolation, for now. i haven't used the camper for a couple years, so i hadn't figured on the black-water holding tank still having... well, you get the idea. if the tanks weren't mounted with flanges between the floor and the steel frame, i would have dropped the tanks right out.
so what's left to tear out? well, the kitchen still needs to go, as i plan on turning that end of the camper into a tool locker of sorts. (yes, i have a lot of tools) once the walls and cabinets are torn out, i have to remove all the interior paneling, and the old insulation. then i can start rebuilding :D

all i can say, i hope i have the walls shored up and the new roof put on before winter. with no inner walls and cabinets, right now there is very little load support for the roof. one particularly large dump from a bird flying over could fold it all up :o

~Travis

Qdeathstar

Should just leave the hole i need the floor. When you gotta go, you gotta go.

travis_farmer

Should just leave the hole i need the floor. When you gotta go, you gotta go.
yeah, but i don't want to break a leg by accidentally walking in to the hole. if i have to go that bad, i could just open a window ;)

~Travis

travis_farmer

slight revision in my camper re-structuring plans. rather than re-studding the walls, i will just re-panel them. this is due to cost issues. but i will still rebuild the roof, as it really needs it now that the interior walls and cabinets are removed. i will be installing 2 walls inside to aid in roof support for snow load.

after i got the remainder of the back half of the camper stripped out, i realized that other than a couple spots, the structure in the walls is just fine.

I plan on having the CNC control computer in a separate room from the CNC, so that i can have some sound insulation while i babysit the computer. for setup, i will use a wireless pendant.

i noticed something interesting today. the rear jack stands under the camper frame are now loose. apparently the weight loss was enough that the suspension lifted the frame off the stands.

on the Arduino front, i have been thinking about a useless, but neat project that was inspired by the "energy flow" screen on a hybrid car. as i am going to use both the AC, and 12Vdc circuits in the camper/CNC shed. it would look neat to have a screen display the power flow status of my camper. mainly for AC power detection, and DC charge/discharge status, while also integrating a solar charger for the battery, for backup. not sure that it is a practical project. just something that looks neat.

~Travis

Qdeathstar

Who doesn't have a phone that takes pictures nowadays? They give them away for free....

travis_farmer

the problem wasn't what to take pictures with. the problem is remembering to take pictures, before i am back in the house, and exhausted. i will try and remember to take my camera out. maybe at least seeing my camera will remind me to use it ;)

~Travis

travis_farmer

I took this picture before i did anything today. it is of the CNC inside the camper. the windows are blacked out due to the tarp still on the back of the camper. my CNC test rig can be seen on top of the CNC table.

later today, if the heat isn't too bad in the camper, i will try to hook up some limit switches, and program in the machine settings. it quickly became clear that the computer monitor i wanted to use was defective, as it kept snapping, and disturbing the image. the factory limits may actualy still work, despite what i thought by visual appearance. i will have to test them. if they work, they are already configured as a per-axis E-stop loop, so i will still need to install Home sensors for LinuxCNC to function correctly.

right now, i am sitting in front of a fan to cool off a bit before heading back out. i think the temp inside the camper is double what it is outside.
if i get the limits working today, i will try and remember to take a quick video with my cell phone. the router is not attached yet, but i could still give it a run-through, to make sure the settings and limits are correct.

~Travis

Qdeathstar

Wow; tight fit.

What have you thought about as far as dust abatement? It's a small space and when that thing gets chooching away I imagine walking around near it will be rather unpleasent.

Also, you gotta look on Craigslist for a small window ac ;)

travis_farmer

Wow; tight fit.

What have you thought about as far as dust abatement? It's a small space and when that thing gets chooching away I imagine walking around near it will be rather unpleasent.

Also, you gotta look on Craigslist for a small window ac ;)
I will likely make up a dust boot to attach to some sort of dust-collection. something with a 4" port.

as for an ac, i have an old one that still works, i just haven't installed it yet. currently the camper has no power, so to test the CNC i have to run an extension cord. so no ac just yet.

~Travis

Go Up