Go Down

Topic: Photobucket accused of blackmail after quietly requiring users to pay  (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

larryd

I assumed the OP could not get their images back without paying $400

No need to respond.

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

Robin2

I assumed the OP could not get their images back without paying $400

No need to respond.
But this is Bar Sport ...

Then that's  hey your not havin' this friggin' chair - I'm sittin' on it  :)

More seriously I don't think a Court would uphold a change in the terms and conditions if you were previously allowed free access to your own pictures and were not given a grace period in which to retrieve them.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

allanhurst

You can get huge hard drives very  cheaply now - I back up all my stuff on two of those...

But I go back to the days of 8" floppies and daily double backups.

Old habits die hard.

Allan

larryd

Backup, backup, backup.

I automatically backup every day with SyncBack, PC.
https://www.2brightsparks.com/welcome/syncback-syncbackse-syncbackpro.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwqvvLBRDIARIsAMYuvBE_rLg7-ZwuudjyMAoucc0wArupGhrox8H34NrTADYpp1JwNuz_x04aAlEGEALw_wcB 
One goes to a network drive, one goes to an internal separate hard drive.
Every month a copy goes to a removable USB drive.
Every 6 months, USB drive swapped with an off site USB DRIVE.

Never use internet storage, they just want your data/information and at some point they hold you hostage, oh that's what we are talking about ;) .

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

Delta_G

Never use internet storage, they just want your data/information and at some point they hold you hostage, oh that's what we are talking about ;) .
Rule #1 of the internet today:  If you're not paying for the product then you ARE the product. 

The only reason anything is free on the net these days is because someone wants to sell you to someone else, either your data to target advertisements or your eyes to look at them or both. 

Even here, they give us this nice free forum and we serve as their free technical support team. 
If at first you don't succeed, up - home - sudo - enter.

Qdeathstar

A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

westfw

they give us this nice free forum and we serve as their free technical support team. 
But *we*, for the most part, are giving away help for free...

Robin2

What amazes me is that some people and businesses store important data on the internet. How can you tell whether or not some Mafia controls the internet servers and can access all your data.

I only put data (like this message) on the Internet when I want to make it public. And if I am worried that it might get lost I keep a copy of it on my hard disk (not in the case of this message).

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up