Go Down

Topic: how an Arduino could improve some sports (Read 460 times) previous topic - next topic

travis_farmer

Golf:
web based hole poppers - let fans, or anti fans control a popper solenoid mounted in the hole.

ok, i thought i had more to offer, but i can't come up with more when somebody here keeps talking to me (it is highly distracting) ;)

what else can people come up with? ;)

~Travis
Current Obsession: My server rack cooler, and my CNC Router
Check out my website, i have my own under-used forum on my hobby server.

Qdeathstar

well, i'm not sure about an arduino but a positioning system for American Football so we can know if the rb got the touchdown or first down.

Strictly arduino based: Magic eight ball for the refs so they can figure out if that was a catch or not. Seems like they've needed some sort of help as of late.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Robin2

I presume the purpose of the "hole popper" is to bounce the ball back out of the hole so the guy has to take at least one more stroke? Sounds like a great idea.

How about moving goal-posts for football?  They have been the scourge of politics for years.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

travis_farmer

well, i'm not sure about an arduino but a positioning system for American Football so we can know if the rb got the touchdown or first down.

Strictly arduino based: Magic eight ball for the refs so they can figure out if that was a catch or not. Seems like they've needed some sort of help as of late.
ok, that's way too serious. ;) probably would help though.

I presume the purpose of the "hole popper" is to bounce the ball back out of the hole so the guy has to take at least one more stroke? Sounds like a great idea.

How about moving goal-posts for football?  They have been the scourge of politics for years.

...R
yes, you are correct about what i meant about "hole popper". :D

as for moving goal-posts, sounds like a great idea as well. and it could work for both american football, and everybody else's football. ;)

~Travis

Robin2

Actually, seeing as it is meant to be an Arduino-related project, I think virtual goalposts would be even better.

You touch the ball down and then consult the Arduino to find out if the touch-down was anywhere near where the virtual goal posts were at that moment.

Another option is a performance drug concentration detector - the one who crosses the line with the highest concentration wins. Much easier to enforce than a no-performance-drugs regime.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Henry_Best

Another option is a performance drug concentration detector - the one who crosses the line with the highest concentration wins. Much easier to enforce than a no-performance-drugs regime.
That win may have to be awarded posthumously.

Robin2

That win may have to be awarded posthumously.
Nah. If you die before the finish line you don't win. The challenge is to take enough stuff, but not too much  :)

...R

AWOL

Have you ever considered the number of area-denial weapons attributed to Scotland?
Claymore mines, golf courses, bagpipes...?
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

allanhurst

Aug 14, 2017, 04:29 am Last Edit: Aug 14, 2017, 04:37 am by allanhurst
You forgot Nicola Sturgeon.

And , of course, rain , wind, midges, kilts, cabers and haggis ( for it's after-effects) ..

Allan

Robin2

allanhurst

So it is alleged. Being English, I wouldn't know.

A Scotsman once told me that they were the ideal garment for both fornication and diarrhoea.

Allan

travis_farmer

Aren't they "all inclusive" ?

...R
a little drafty on a windy day, i would think. but that depends on what the wearer has on under them...

...haggis ( for it's after-effects) ..
didn't realize that. kind of explains why kilts are, as i said above, a little drafty. ;)

~Travis

Go Up