Go Down

Topic: Super-zoom cameras (Read 209 times) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

Another Thread put me in mind of asking if anyone has any experience with these cameras.

I have a Fuji Finepix HS50 which has a x42 zoom and manual control of the zoom. Generally I am very pleased with it but it is 4 years old and the plastic covering is starting to get sticky and grubby so I have been wondering is there anything better on the market.

I have no interest in cameras with interchangeable lenses - they are too inconvenient and too expensive.

The HS50 is no longer manufactured and the Canon SX60 seems to have the features that are essential for me -
  • high zoom
  • swiveling back screen
  • eye-level viewfinder

however it has electric zoom control and no manufacturer seems to be making a camera with manual zoom.

Other desirable features are
  • connection for an external flash
  • ability to set the focus to infinity

A big problem is that it is very difficult to find a shop with a demo model that I can try.

If anyone has experience of the Canon or any other camera that I should consider I would like to hear from you.

Thanks.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

travis_farmer

I have a Fuji Finepix HS50 which has a x42 zoom and manual control of the zoom.
X42 zoom!  :o  :o  :o
who are you stalking? (just kidding)

I have a Canon, but it is only X4 zoom...

but seriously, i was just wondering why you don't like interchangeable lenses? my sister has a SLR Canon that she used for her forensics degree projects (not for sale, just a note). she liked it so much that she would love a newer DSLR, as long as she can use the same lenses.

~Travis
Current Obsession: Ham Radio, and my CNC Router:
Check out my website, i have my own forum on my hobby server.

Robin2

but seriously, i was just wondering why you don't like interchangeable lenses?
Imagine that the camera is switched off and it and the lenses are sitting on a table.

How long does it take to attach the correct lens and take a picture?  Less than 20 seconds?

How much is a 1000mm lens for a DSLR?

How much is a 24mm lens?

How much is a 24-1000mm zoom lens?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

travis_farmer

Hmm, i see your point. i guess with forensics, in my sister's case, you don't have much worry about the subject running away... ok, for some reason i just had the feeling we have had this conversation already in another thread, way back.

~Travis

AWOL

How much is a 24mm lens?
Who cares?
It isn't wide enough!
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

Robin2

Aug 12, 2017, 03:46 pm Last Edit: Aug 12, 2017, 03:47 pm by Robin2
Who cares?
It isn't wide enough!
So what super-zoom camera have you experience of that has a wider lens?

Life is full of compromises.

...R

AWOL

So what super-zoom camera have you experience of that has a wider lens?
None of them.
Not a one.
Neither mirrorless (at a sensible price).

Guess I'll be using my (D)SLRs for a while to come.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

westfw

I also like manual zoom, and am saddened by the lack of cameras that have this :-(  Loved by minolta A2, back in it's day.
I think Sony took over a lot of the konica/minolta IP, and the RX10 looks pretty interesting...
Only 25x zoom, but... fast for a superzoom lens!

Robin2

Loved by minolta A2, back in it's day.
Glad you reminded me. I still have an A200 which I have not used for a long time and I was equally p-ed off when Konica Minolta sold out to Sony who never followed up with a newer model.

Prompted by you I went to look for my A200 only to find I could not get it out of the camera bag without cutting the corroded zips. The camera looks OK. I am now trying to charge it up. However it only as a 7x zoom so it will not be used. :)

...R

Pauly

I've had a Panasonic Lumix DMC - ZS50 for several years and it works great.  30x zoom. https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2477859,00.asp

Robin2

I've had a Panasonic Lumix DMC - ZS50
Thanks. I might consider that style of camera but it would need to have an articulated back screen.

The main reason for not considering that style in the past was the absence of a manual zoom. But, now, none of the manufacturers seems to make a manual zoom.

...R

travis_farmer

But, now, none of the manufacturers seems to make a manual zoom.
I think that automation is taking over the art of doing things. and that coming from a guy with a big CNC router. ;) but seriously, when Burger King first came out with the touchscreen Kiosk for selecting your soda of choice, i noticed a lot of people that were confused with how to use it. not to say you are confused with how to use automated zoom, but that the technology has left behind the folks that still like manual control.

and i think society has been hurt from the lack of manual control. for example, my little car has a manual transmission. i prefer manual because it makes me more in tune with exactly what the car is doing. it forces me to pay more attention to driving. these days, the youth jump into a car, without even thinking that they are in control of a very complex, and potentially deadly machine. they have just three basic controls to pay attention to. the stop pedal, the go pedal, and the direction control wheel. it makes control of the big complex machine so easy that they become complacent.

~Travis

Robin2

Aug 13, 2017, 04:48 pm Last Edit: Aug 13, 2017, 04:50 pm by Robin2
but that the technology has left behind the folks that still like manual control.
Regardless of preference there are tasks for which manual control works better.

On any of the cameras I have tried the servo-operated zoom was not nearly as responsive as my manual / mechanical zoom. The manual zoom also allows me to work the zoom with my left hand and operate the shutter with my right hand. And I find it difficult to manipulate the servo-zoom while half-depressing the shutter button (to fix the light settings) with the same finger.

It would certainly be possible to make a servo zoom system that is immediate, but it would deplete the battery in no time.

...R

Go Up