Utterly noob question about multiple pushbuttons

Hi all,
My very first adventure into Arduino and as expected I have already encountered some problems.
Thing is, I need a few pushbuttons to go to each their own dig input, but I can't seem to get the code right. I have hooked them up with each their own 10K resistor to ground, but only one of the buttons seems to be read. It is not a hardware error as I have swopped them around to verify it isn't the case, but I can only get the first input in the code to read, the second one does nothing.
I have tried looking through the archives here and though there are quite a lot on multiple buttons, nothing seems to tackle this absolute beginners question...
I am trying to control a stand-alone stepper motor driver which is not only a step and direction controller but also has a pulsator built in. The different functions like enabling it and changing direction are just done by bringing a lead from each function to ground. Speed is done by voltage input - so after I solve this problem, I hope to get into PWM to control the speed. (I chose this board because it is simple and I need to control a stepper for a project kinda ASAP. First I just did it with analogue switches, but now I wanna try doing it through an Arduino and grow from there)
For now, I simply need to know how to get more than one button to send out either a HIGH or LOW dig output. Should be simple...
As said, I can get the first one to work...

This is my first code ever and hope the naming of the buttons and outputs is not too weird.

// CONSTANTS DON'T CHANGE
// Set pin number for BUTTONS:
const int buttonPinRUN = 12;     // the number of the pushbutton pin to make stepper RUN
const int buttonPinDIR = 10;     // the number of the pushbutton pin to make stepper change DIRECTION

// set pin number for OUTPUT wires to stepper controller:
const int RunStepper =  13;      // the number of the RUN wire pin
const int DIRStepper =  11;      // the number of the DIRECTION wire pin

// variables will change:
int buttonPinRUNState = 0;         // variable for reading the pushbutton status
int buttonPinDIRState = 0;         // variable for reading the pushbutton status

void setup() {
  // initialize the stepper function wires pins as outputs:
  pinMode(RunStepper, OUTPUT);    
  pinMode(DIRStepper, OUTPUT);      
  // initialize the pushbuttons pin as inputs:
  pinMode(buttonPinRUN, INPUT);   
  pinMode(buttonPinDIR, INPUT);   

}

void loop(){
  // THIS IS TO CONTROL RUN/NOT RUN SIGNAL 
  buttonPinRUNState = digitalRead(buttonPinRUN);   // reads the state of the RUN pushbutton value (checks if the pushbutton is pressed)

// if it is, then buttonState is HIGH:
  if (buttonPinRUNState == HIGH) {    

digitalWrite(RunStepper, LOW);  
  }
  else {

digitalWrite(RunStepper, HIGH);

}
 // THIS IS TO CONTROL DIRECTION - THIS IS THE BUTTON WHICH IS NOT BEING READ...
 buttonPinDIRState = digitalRead(buttonPinDIR);
    if (buttonPinRUNState == HIGH) {      
    digitalWrite(DIRStepper, LOW);  
  }
  else {
    digitalWrite(DIRStepper, LOW);

}}

All my very best and hope someone out there can give an easy to understand answer to a beginner like me,
David

You have a cut and paste issue:

if (buttonPinRUNState == HIGH)

You're reading buttonPinDIRState, but your if is the same as the first one, using buttonPinRUNState again.

if (buttonPinRUNState == HIGH) { <<< as wildbill says, change this to buttonPinDIRState

Thanks so much wildbill & CrossRoads!
Great to wake up to these messages and I am glad it was a bit more an oversight than complete lack of any understanding - I guess that happens when trying to "proof read" code at almost four in the morning...:wink: (I am in China)
Made the change and with the addition of correcting my mistake in the HIGH, LOW designations it worked.
Now off to add some more buttons, make them hold, double-click etc. and try to get PWM to work;-)

Best and have a great weekend,
David