Show us your arduino electronic work area, no matter how humble or grand.

CRO. you're showing your age there Rob 8)

He he, Tom used it as well. Not many cathode rays in scopes theses days eh, but I still tend to use the term.

It's amazing what you can buy now for $500 or less, better than our old Tektronics 465s that even our company was hard pressed to afford.

Rob

Hi Rob.
If you look in my first pic, on the shelf is a Lab Supply and a CRO, its portable, bought it back in 1985, has nicads in it, or will run from 11 to 30V DC, or 240/120AC.
It has bounced around in the back of a Ford Falcon Station Wagon for over 1 Million kms. Only problem, bolts fell out of power transformer brackets and transformer swung around inside chassis on its leads.
Still works, only 6Mhz but was all I needed at the time.
Hidden under bench is 4ch, 100Mhz CRO, which fits nicely on shelf as well.

Tom.. :slight_smile: (10:15pm local, 23DegC, thunder storms, spot fires all over western half of state.)
(Been to golden arches, coffee kick frappe, ahh yes..)

Graynomad:
I plan to get a good new CRO (do you non-Aussies know what a CRO is?)

Yes! But only because I watch that crazy Aussie bloke, Dave Jones... XD

BTW, I dare you to try and board an airplane with that case!

I dare you to try and board an airplane with that case!

A highly unlikely scenario, mostly because I can't afford to fly anywhere :slight_smile:

Here is one of the containers workshops.

That's our motorhome in the background, this has all been landscaped since, it looks a lot nicer now.

Rob

WOW, now that's the way to make sure nobody fools with your project, security plus.
The container looks in real good nick too, usually the ones around here that they sell look like they have been to the bottom of the pacific at least 3 times.
Tom..... :slight_smile:

That container is what they call a "new build", which means it's only done a single trip from China (presumably) to Oz. They cost more but are essentially brand new so worth it I think. That said we got this one for almost the same price ($3500) as a banged up container like the other one we have.

As we are often away security is an issue, but of course anybody with a grinder can get into a container in no time at all.

Rob

Graynomad:
That container is what they call a "new build", which means it's only done a single trip from China (presumably) to Oz. They cost more but are essentially brand new so worth it I think. That said we got this one for almost the same price ($3500) as a banged up container like the other one we have.

As we are often away security is an issue, but of course anybody with a grinder can get into a container in no time at all.

Rob

Have you considered burying them? Lots of people use these things as underground bunkers. It would be a lot more secure, temperature controlled, and generally not that expensive.

Not really, firstly it would not be convenient in our situation because having them at the current level is about right for other stuff. For example we plan to add a roof so the space between them is weather proof(ish). When done it will be quite a nice little protected area, if they were underground we would not get that.

So in our situation having them under ground doesn't suit, but there are other issues.

It would probably cost as much as again as the containers to dig the holes, and as much yet again to waterproof them and properly drain behind them. And at the end of the day they are no more secure because you still have to have the doors accessible. So all in all putting them underground is a major project, above ground is 2 hours work with a jack, 10 breeze blocks and $20 :slight_smile:

They would however be a LOT cooler, that would be nice.

And finally, the last nail in the idea's coffin, some wallabies have pretty much claimed the underneath of one container as there own and they spend a large part of the day relaxing there, I wouldn't have the heart to evict them :slight_smile:

Rob

Hi Rob, I'd agree putting a roof over them with a gap would help with heat and cooling. In the bush around here I keep a guys remote power system going and he lived on a 2 bedroom shack for quite a while.
He came into a bit of money and built his garage/workshop over the renovated shack.
He recons its the best thing he ever did, the huge layer of quiet air around the house provided a huge amount of insulation.

Tom....ahhhhh 23DegC tonight/morning but still some nasty bushfires around. :slight_smile:

Graynomad:
Not really, firstly it would not be convenient in our situation because having them at the current level is about right for other stuff. For example we plan to add a roof so the space between them is weather proof(ish). When done it will be quite a nice little protected area, if they were underground we would not get that.

So in our situation having them under ground doesn't suit, but there are other issues.

It would probably cost as much as again as the containers to dig the holes, and as much yet again to waterproof them and properly drain behind them. And at the end of the day they are no more secure because you still have to have the doors accessible. So all in all putting them underground is a major project, above ground is 2 hours work with a jack, 10 breeze blocks and $20 :slight_smile:

They would however be a LOT cooler, that would be nice.

And finally, the last nail in the idea's coffin, some wallabies have pretty much claimed the underneath of one container as there own and they spend a large part of the day relaxing there, I wouldn't have the heart to evict them :slight_smile:

Rob

Depending on where you live, excavation isn't that bad. If your property slopes off you can put in a daylight drain for almost nothing. The doors people put on these bunkers are usually 1" plate steel on both sides, with 8 inches of concrete and rebar in the middle. Thats a little more secure than a padlock on a shipping container.

That would kind of mess up the carport idea though.

Well here is a bit of mine.

Imgur

DSCF5380small.jpg

I hope you have got some nice big resistors for those 7 seg displays Mike :smiley:

Hi, I like the minimalist look. :slight_smile:
Books and books all close to hand. High density creativity. Nice small drill bench too.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Pedro147:
I hope you have got some nice big resistors for those 7 seg displays Mike :smiley:

Yes.
It is a big project, it uses three of those boards in an environmental sculpture for the entrance foyer of the Arts block of my old University. The scaffold is up at the moment and they are on the wall. I hope to get it working this coming week. I will post in the exhibition section when it is finished.

I love the ergonomic laptop placement Mike, I'm guessing you don't do much programming at that bench.

Look forward to seeing it all together with those huge displays.

Rob

Hi, new addition to my workbench at my place of work.

Very innovative and you never know when you need it.

Sheer Luxury.
Soft toilet roll.

We have to make do with newspaper .

And its the Times , comrade.

Hi, was yours squares on a nail in the wall or loop of string to keep them together.

Ha, I like it Tom, there are many times you need to have a roll of that handy, especially like when I spend too much time on this forum :smiley:

But, Tom, there's only a sheet ot two left on that roll, I wonder, have you been unwell recently, he he :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as work spaces go, I'm in the progress of moving from my large current desk to a new room that I started to re-do as my work area six months ago.

I'm laying down a new floating floor and having repainted the entire room, it is looking fresh and inviting.

The thing is, this room will also be my new power room, where I am building up a complete new setup for my renewable energy system.

I received 8 new lithium batteries yesterday, 3.2V at 400Ahr each and 8 cells to make up the 25.6Volt system.
Six lots of 200Watt solar panels directly on the roof above the new room with the cables from each panel being brought down into the room at present.

I will build a new bench in the room so I can do my fiddly bit with electronics and still have an area for clean work like programming.

I'll make photos of the installation as I go in the coming weeks and will try to remember to post here.

Tom, I don't see any radio gear, or is VK3DMK now gone silent?
I was VK7KPA many years ago. Good fun. :slight_smile:

Paul