usb cord for uno

i bought one off of ebay and it came with lot of components but they gave me the wrong usb cord and i want to go right now to radio shack and get the right one, but what is it call?

thanks

jareeb:
i bought a one off of ebay and it came with lot of components but they gave me the wrong usb cord and i want to go right now to radio shack and get the right what but what is it call?

thanks

An Uno (at least the R3 Uno that I have) uses a USB-B cable, and you want USB-A on the computer end. In the old days, these cables used to be used for USB printers, but I think the printer industry has moved on to newer cables. You might check if you have older printers, and such whether you already have the cable or not.

Radio Shack lists a few A-B cables, but most of them are listed as web only. Here is the cheapest one that is claimed to be in stores: RadioShack.com Official Site - America's Technology Store. As usual, RS isn't going to be your low cost supplier, but if you need to have it ASAP, it beets waiting for ebay.

thanks man. well i guess ill try walmart, maybe even a pc shop would have it for cheaper, but they are expensive.

I dunno, my sense is most brick and mortar stores ramp up the prices of basic cables (and flash memory cards). On the other hand, if you want to start working with your Uno tomorrow, you might need to pay the $10 or so.

i found one laying around in my house

MichaelMeissner:
In the old days, these cables used to be used for USB printers, but I think the printer industry has moved on to newer cables. You might check if you have older printers, and such whether you already have the cable or not.

This industry moves on far too quickly without you wishing it away as well. The USB A-B lead is still almost universal for printers. New fangled ones are often wireless as well but often need the USB for setting up the wireless in the first place (or squinting at a tiny display and working through endless menus) . Some low end Multifunction wireless devices are only wireless as printers and need a USB cable to use the scanner part. Network printers often have ethernet as well as USB, but the USB A-B is still the cable of choice for printers. More often than not, NOT included with the printer so the store can charge you some exorbitant fee on top of the printer. Available for very little on Ebay.

Many other devices have moved on to Mini and Micro USB but as a printer can't really shrink very much, there's little point in shrinking the USB connection.

Its only fairly recently the industry has abandoned the old Centronics parallel connector altogether. The computer manufacturers kept it on so if you still had a really old printer.....