Need help with building a quadcopter!

Hi, we (me and my freinds) are building a quadcopter at school in a subject called "Teknologi og forskningslære" which basicly means thecnology and learning about science.
We have found some of the information needed online, but have problem finding all the information we need. Also it is very hard to find what parts we should use.

Here is a list of all the parts we have found.

Servo engine (Full rotation)

Rotor

Arduino (x2)(1 for controller and 1 for quadcopter)

• Arduino Uno

Joystick shield kit (for arduino controller)

So what we are going to do is to build a quadcopter and a controller for the quadcopter. We need several items that we have not found yet.

First of all we need a battery. We have seen several different types of batteries, but we do not know what is needed and what is overkill. Adviceses on this would be fine. Also we wondered if we needed a motorshield to connect the motors to the arduino. In that case advices would be appreciated. We also need a gyro and a accelometer, but do not have any idea for what we need. Also we wonder if a speed controller for the motors is needed.

Lastly we have to get som kind of sheild or card to connect to the arduino for wireless conection.

So all advices would be helping us very much, just bear in mind that since this is a school project the budjet is no extremely high so if it is possible to keep the price down on the parts adviced it would be great.

Thank you for reading this and helping us out.

What are the (ex-)servos for?

What are you using for lift motors?

Is this the right place for this thread?
Do you want me to move it?

Sorry for a late answer. We are going to use the servos for lift motors.

When it come to moving this thread go ahead if you think there is a better place for it.

We are going to use the servos for lift motors.

You're going to use a " Top operating speed 60-70 RPM" motor to drive a prop?

Now, when you say it in that way it sounds a bit stupid. At least it is good that someone highlights the mistakes we make.

Is around 6000 rpm on a motor enough for the lift motors?

Sounds about the right ball park, but rpm alone tells you very little.

(Caveat: I've never built a quad)

AWOL:
Sounds about the right ball park, but rpm alone tells you very little.

(Caveat: I've never built a quad)

What other information than the rpm do I need?

The quad I am building uses Turnigy 2217 20turn 860kv 22A Outrunner brushless motors. These work pretty well with 8045 propellers. Look up the thrust rating on your motors too.

In short, unless you want a lot of heartache, use the motors and ESCs and batteries that are marketed for that exact purpose. :smiley:

For beginners, best get a kit (using an Arduino). That is what I fancy doing - one of these days. Yes, everyone wants a quadcopter.

Benjamin_Lovelady:
The quad I am building uses Turnigy 2217 20turn 860kv 22A Outrunner brushless motors. These work pretty well with 8045 propellers. Look up the thrust rating on your motors too.

Whould you care to put the parts you use on the quadcopter on the forum?

Hi, I was just wondering if someone could confirm if I can use 4 of these motors http://www.robonor.no/mage/default/arducopter-brushless-motor-ac2830-358-850kv.html
with this battery
http://www.robonor.no/mage/default/polymer-lithium-ion-battery-1300mah-11-1v.html

Take a look at eCalc's multicoptor calculator:

http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.htm?ecalc&lang=en

If you're using common components it is very easy to use. If you're using components not on the list. you'll need some techincal data to feed the program .

-j