Go Down

Topic: MKR1000 Max voltage from digital output? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

D6equj5

Hi,
just a quickie - my MKR1000 has 5v printed on it but what is the max voltage digital outputs can handle? Can it directly run a string of RGB leds in the same way an Uno can?
Thanks
D6
Thank you
D6

ballscrewbob

Oct 05, 2017, 11:25 pm Last Edit: Oct 05, 2017, 11:26 pm by ballscrewbob
I certainly would NOT do that !

Almost any half decent schematic you look at has a seperate supply for light strings and with very good reason.
The current draw is quite often ABOVE the specs for the Arduino pins from LED's especially addressable type LED's.

You seems to have neglected to provide any detail of the LED types and the amount of them.

Even with a UNO you should be wary of drawing too much from the board.
Add more detail and it is easier to give a better reply.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

D6equj5

Hi,
thanks - you answered one question - the MKR1000 can not handle an RGB strip in the way that an Uno can.

So, what is the maximum voltage an MKR1000 digital output can handle - there is "5V" printed on the cct board although I read in other places it can take nothing over 3.3v - which is it?
Thanks
D6
Thank you
D6

ballscrewbob

Oct 07, 2017, 02:29 pm Last Edit: Oct 07, 2017, 02:32 pm by ballscrewbob
Please read carefully my first response

You didn't say how many or what type of LED's  or add any more information.
Certainly dont just "assume" that because one board may have done it that it is a defacto point for that board.
I cannot tell you anything else without facts that only you have.

Assumption is the major cause of the magic blue smoke in electronics.

This picture shows an UNO with WS type LED's you will notice the SEPARATE power supply.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

D6equj5

Ah thank you, I had not envisaged the maximum handlable voltage through digital output would vary depending upon the circuit, sketch and type of led used.
I was needing this information prior to considering my circuit and sketch.
Thanks anyway
D6
Thank you
D6

ballscrewbob

Its not the sketch you need to worry about.
That will just do as you tell it to do.

So many people have issues and often think its the sketch but quite often when they add a schematic it becomes clear that they are just expecting the board to do too much in terms of voltage and current.

D6equj5

Its not the sketch you need to worry about.
That will just do as you tell it to do.

So many people have issues and often think its the sketch but quite often when they add a schematic it becomes clear that they are just expecting the board to do too much in terms of voltage and current.

Yes I know  :smiley-confuse: - I've been hobby building electronics and programming from before the internet was invented. Every other Arduino has a stated max volts in it's spec - I just couldn't find it for the MKR1000 and the printed "5v" on the board of the one I have threw me as forums around the net seem to say 3.3v is the max. Never mind, I've asked elswhere. No doubt I will now get a response telling me how stupid I am to have missed the voltage in the printed spec. Hey Ho.

Nice product but seemingly a sadly cliquey forum :(
D6

Thank you
D6

ballscrewbob

"Nice product but seemingly a sadly cliquey forum :( "

Odd I don't find that at all and consider myself still a NOOB around here.
Find everyone most willing to talk to anyone about anything.
Take a look in the "bar sport" section for instance.
Yes some people tend to stay in certain sections of the forum but quite often I think it is because they have better knowledge in that area. You will tend to find me in about 5 specific areas where I know some questions can be handled and I dont get too much out of my depth ;)

Its also a very polite forum which coming from some of my FB groups I find very refreshing.

As far as 3.3V vs 5V I think it is a point that has never been fully cleared up in a simple answer.

Although in a few specific example sketches I have seen reference to calculations being 3.3V specific for the A/D in the MO series boards.

That said I have used 5V sensors with no side effects on the output values reported back in that regard.

Go Up