AS1130 So far, so good...

This is the latest, fully documented version of my experiments with this chip.

I want to do all the controlling (post setup) using interrupts but can't at the moment seem to get a response from the IRQ pin.

I would much appreciate any comment from people working with this chip, especially re interrupts.

Anyway here's the Vid....

...and the source code...

AS1130_Frames_demo_diamonds.rar (5.01 KB)

especially re interrupts.

You do a total of 6 I2C_write()s in the ISR which equates to a whole lot of Wire.XX calls, conventional wisdom says that you should not do too much in an ISR and I'd say that's too much.

That said it appears to be working well.

What's generating these interrupts?

Rob

Hi Rob, Thanks for the reply.

The ISR in the example is never called...and would not take that form if I ever get it working :blush:

I would do some clever bit manipulation and let the main() do the donkey work, especially as the AS1130 can run pretty much independently once it's got it's data.

The problem I am having is that the IRQ line on pin 11 should be pulled to VCC by a 4k7 resistor (datasheet fig 1) but is always around 0.05V whatever I do with the Interrupt bits.

I have 2 of these chips in working condition and both show the same characteristic - hence it must be me that's not doing something I should be (or doing something I shoudn't :grin:)

If you've got one of these working I would appreciate your measurements etc. or any other input you have of course...

Cheers, Roy

PS Love your Nomad Vehicle. 8)

AMS makes some interesting chips, has anyone (in the US) found good sources for them?

Digi-Key do them but they are very expensive. :astonished:

How many do you need? I have received 6 free samples so far.... :grin:

Cool project, BTW. I did see the prices at Digi-Key :astonished: I don't have any specific requirements, just thinking about experimenting a bit. Actually more interested in the AS1106/07 which are MAX7219/21 replacements but will operate down to 2.7V.

http://www.ams.com/eng/ICdirect-Buy-Online/Online-Shop
This is what I've had so far.

AS1130 6 132 LED driver with PWM 28 SSOP
AS5130 3 Magnetic Rotary Encoder with 8-bit Res 16 SSOP
AS1108 3 4-Digit LED Driver, Serially Interfaced 20 PDIP
AS1116 3 64 LED Driver with Detailed Error Detection 24 QSOP

The samples arrive very quickly.

I'll try the ones you suggest as well I think.

The problem I am having is that the IRQ line on pin 11 should be pulled to VCC by a 4k7 resistor (datasheet fig 1) but is always around 0.05V whatever I do with the Interrupt bits.

Sounds like the interrupt is not being cleared despite your efforts.

If you've got one of these working I would appreciate your measurements etc.

I don't have one, but I think I'll get some samples, I was aware of them but never looked that close at their chips, they have some great offerings.

PS Love your Nomad Vehicle.

Not a bad old bomb eh?

Rob

Hi Rob,

Sounds like the interrupt is not being cleared despite your efforts.

What I don't understand is...if I read out the registers in the AS1130 they all make sense and show the settings I have sent via I2C and everything works fine but the Interrupt status register shows all 0s which means that no interrupt has occured. The IRQ pin is still pulled low somehow though.

By the way...it's the AS1130 which generates the IRQ after certain conditions occur (like a movie ending).

I would expect the pin which is connected to VDD (5V on Arduino) via a 4k7 resistor to be at 5V or thereabouts at power up or POR and it isn't for some reason. All other pins with pull-ups are working as expected.

Hexadec:
Digi-Key do them but they are very expensive. :astonished:

How many do you need? I have received 6 free samples so far.... :grin:

Damn, you have me beat. I have 3 so far...

You need more cheek.... :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley: :smiley:

Hexadec:

You need more cheek.... :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley: :smiley:

3x3 is the highest you can go with AMS. I have only placed one order for this particular chip because I just learned about it. I've actually done 3 3x3 samples with AMS so far. So, 27 devices so far, just three of these. :grin:

Trust me, I'm sufficiently cheeky. The last ADC that I asked AD for was a $30 part at Digikey (qty 1). I asked for two and got them.

Trust me, I'm sufficiently cheeky.

Respect.... :grin:

I tend to only order what I will use but have been tempted a few times with Microchip samples :blush:

Oh well...they are billionaires and I'm not. 8)

Hey guys, after looking at the datasheet, may I ask if this chip (AS1130) is a driver for a Charlieplexed type display array?

It most certainly is...or at least a 'flavour' called crossplexing by ASM

Hi,

Does someone read any data from AS1130? A failed there...

BR

KWT