Electronic lock suggestions for an RFID system

Hey,

I have been trying to source electronic deadbolts, and have not had any luck.
So I am giving up and will be using regular electronic deadbolts found at hardware stores.

We are going to replace all the deadbolts in our house with electronic versions.
The requirements are that they can be unlocked via regular key, as well as electronically.
Ideally the locks will have an input that controls the lock but most likely I will have to hack one of the keypad style locks.
In the end we will have a system that will be able to be unlocked via key or RFID, and will tie into a computer system that can see the state of the lock, and or can lock the doors.

Does anyone have any recommendations on electronic deadbolts that we can use?

This seems promising... but it already has all the electronics so you wouldn't really have to build much.

The trick will be by passing the RF so I can implement a RFID system. But could be good :slight_smile:

You CAN use electronic dead bolts, but they're expensive, require battery power in the door and are prone to security issues as many of them have reset buttons that are too accessible from the outside.

I think this would likely be better for your application:

They're cheap, run on DC power (check the reviews for info on current requirements) and in case of power failure, act as a normal strike.

For the remote control, I suggest xbees or similar to control them. A different way that would cost less would be to actuate the locks via X10 home automation units. A central computer can easily open the doors without using xbees.

If you DO go the xbee route, take a look at the sparkfun serial thermal printer that came out last week. Cheap way to add an audit trail on a central controller :slight_smile:

Aye, those won't work tho :frowning:
As most importantly I need to lock doors remotely and not unlock.
We have a lot of people in and out of the house, so I need something that I can secure remotely.