tlc5940 rainbow wipe

I have been looking all over the internet for information about coding for this chip. I am working on just having a row of LED's and having them do a rainbow color wipe. The project is 15 common anode LED's and 3x tlc5940's I have the hardware end of it working just fine, and can run the examples that are in the tlc5940 library. I am really good with hardware, But no good with software. Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction on this? I really don't want to have to do multiplexing on this, And I don't think I would have to since I am using 3x chips so I have 48 outputs and only need 45.

Any help is appreciated.

Hold up, lemme get a setup of this going.

I'll try to throw some code at you.

funkyguy4000:
Hold up, lemme get a setup of this going.

I'll try to throw some code at you.

That would be great, if I can get it to work there may be some sort of compensation that can be arranged.

You mean like this?

With 48 channels you can PWM independenrly you will have no problem controlling 15 RGB LEDs. I've done it with an 8X8 matrix using a 138 and 8 PNP transistors to multiplex/source current and it wasn't that hard. I did burn one of these guys out at a 100% duty cycle on that setup though. At 50% it works great.

Yea, that's what op is trying to do.

Yes joe that's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. I have tried using what he has on that site, and I get nothing but compile errors.

I have written some code although it doesn't seem to be fully functional quite yet.
I have all the logic down its just I'm having issues with updating the values.
I'll finish it and throw it up here tomorrow, if I can figure it out.
If I have issues, i'll ask people in the programming section.

How quickly would you like the leds to change the colors? Like how long would you like the first RGB led to run through all the colors? 8 seconds?

funkyguy4000:
How quickly would you like the leds to change the colors? Like how long would you like the first RGB led to run through all the colors? 8 seconds?

8 seconds is perfect. and thank you for the help.

No problem, I've been meaning to write the code myself it's just I haven't found a real reason to.

daveydav27:
Yes joe that's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. I have tried using what he has on that site, and I get nothing but compile errors.

I used that page as a reference when I did the code for my LED matrix and that works just fine. I could post it if you wanted to look at it. All it does is basically pulse the 3 primary colors through all LEDs (192 of them) on an 8x8 RGB matrix so it isn't super sophisticated, but it works fine.

JoeN:
I used that page as a reference when I did the code for my LED matrix and that works just fine. I could post it if you wanted to look at it. All it does is basically pulse the 3 primary colors through all LEDs (192 of them) on an 8x8 RGB matrix so it isn't super sophisticated, but it works fine.

Sure i'll take a look at it, It may be useful for a project in the future since I have about 25 of these tlc5940 chips laying around.

I will put it up tonight. About 4-5 hours, I get off late. TLC5940s are great chips to have in the parts bin. I also have some MAX7219s that I got on the cheap (MAX7219 7 Segment + Dot Point, Common Cathode serially interfaced display driver PDIP-24) that are sweet too and drive a matrix directly sourcing and sinking current both, but alas for only 8 channels and without PWM.

Okay so I'm working on the code,
It seems to be fading properly except the red part. The red is the only color that I need to keep constantly lit at certain points and seeing as how the Tlc.set() command doesn't take in time parameters, I'm working with timing statements.

Once I get that done, all I have to do is put it out to every other led with a delay and it should be all good. Hopefully I'll have it done by the end of tomorrow.

When do you need it by?

It's a personal project sort of. So no real rush.

Oh!!

Are you working on a sketch yourself? We could work together.

JoeN:
I will put it up tonight. About 4-5 hours, I get off late. TLC5940s are great chips to have in the parts bin. I also have some MAX7219s that I got on the cheap (MAX7219 7 Segment + Dot Point, Common Cathode serially interfaced display driver PDIP-24) that are sweet too and drive a matrix directly sourcing and sinking current both, but alas for only 8 channels and without PWM.

thank you for that link. I cant believe the low prices that they have on controllers and LED's.