3D printing?

jagatia:
different types of powderbed 3d printing

I really don't know - I would think that laser would have better quality, because I have read comments about "spread" of the liquid binder in the powderbed for "inkjet" method. Then again, using a laser to melt/fuse the powder in the powderbed might have its own issues.

If I were building a homebrew system, though, I would personally go for the laser (or focused LED) system - why?

Because first there are already homebrew small laser (and LED) cutters (as I have referenced) that have shown it is possible to melt/cut thin plastics with minimal (and basic, off the shelf) parts. Secondly, the powder is likely easy and cheap to get (powdercoat powder, or possibly bulk toner powder - it would all depend on whether powdercoat powder is a thermopolymer and will melt using heat; toner definitely will) - both powdercoat powder and bulk toner is readily available from a variety of sources. Thirdly, you don't have to worry about finding a source (or even figuring out what it is) for the "liquid binder" - not too mention the need for post-processing infusion of other binders/glues to strengthen the model. Finally, building a focused optical head might be a simpler proposition than some kind of binder squirter (as well as trying to keep such a print head clear and free of obstruction, such as the binder itself).

The only downside of a laser system is that you couldn't easily use it to make edibles (although - I wonder - what if you could carmelize powdered sugar or something similar - probably would require a higher power laser/LED, though).

Hmm - also note that you could use a focused halogen light - if you really wanted/needed higher output for an optical system...

:smiley: