Guitar tuner - frequency counter

Hello everyone. (sorry for my bad english)

I would like to make a guitar tuner like this: Arduino guitar tuner (code in description) - YouTube

The only problem is that I can not understand what components are used to receive the frequency signal emitted by the guitar string.

Can I get a little help?

Only the Arduino on an analog pin...+ a small amplifier
Check that instructable :

or

Is that what you are looking for ?

ard_newbie:
Is that what you are looking for ?

ElectroSmash - pedalSHIELD Arduino Guitar Pedal.

I'm searching for an easier tuner. For acoustic or classical guitar.
All that i need is to know how can i receive Hz from the guitar strings

For an acoustic guitar you need a microphone and amplifier. Something as simple as SparkFun Electret Microphone Breakout - BOB-12758 - SparkFun Electronics might do it. There are many other microphone breakout boards available.

Steve

This project might not be as easy as you think, once you have got the signal in. You can get the note easy enough but not the octave. Most of those projects are for a simple waveform frequency measurement and a guitar produces a complex evolving waveform that messes up the measurement.

If you are new to the Arduino please note that most instructables projects are crap, the link above is no exception. It starts off simple enough but by the end has descended into farce. You won't go far wrong ignoring everything on that site unless you can spot the inevitable mistakes the authors make. If in doubt always read the comments and never try and learn anything from that place.

Don't listen to the never happy professor Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrumpy...

Instructable is a nice initiative. For sure somes projects are really basic, not pro.
But that is exactly the principle. Things done by amateurs.
and some are amazing...

So about the project mentioned above, just give it a test, and you will learn a lot.
You can buy a guitar tuner for less than 9€, so I suppose it is for that reason you want to do a guitar tuner yourself ?

The range allowed by the Arduino Audio frequency library spans from 60 to 1500 Hz.
Guitar string frequencies are (standard tuning) :
329.63 Hz (E),
246.94 Hz (B),
196.00 Hz (G),
146.83 Hz (D),
110.00 Hz (A)
82.41 Hz (E)

That should do it.
Have fun.

TheKikGen:
Don't listen to the never happy professor Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrumpy...

Instructable is a nice initiative. For sure somes projects are really basic, not pro.
But that is exactly the principle. Things done by amateurs.
and some are amazing...

I think you must be the only member here that thinks that. Do some reading, 99% of instructables on electronics contain mistakes. Try reading the comments, the only thing more stupid than the average instructables author are some of the people who comment.

Most people here are sick and fed up with acting as instructables support. However I am assuming from what you said that you would be happy to provide this support as you think they are so worthwhile. So are you happy for me and other to pass you instructables support questions?

I have no problem with things being basic, but I do have a problem with things being wrong. Like that link you posted, the early techniques are fine but that last one is pure rubbish, care to defend it?

and some are amazing.

You must be easily amazed.

@Jonnycas. I think you need to look for a much better example of a guitar tuner than the one you link to. My idea of a tuner is one in which the guitar is in tune when you're done. Listen to the youtube video starting at 4:00 where he strums a chord. That guitar is horribly out of tune and the guy knows it - "It's not the best tuning - but you can always tweak after". Why bother with that "tuner" if you always have to tweak it after?

Pete

Hey Pete, why bother with that DIY tuner when you can buy one for 10 bucks ?
I played months ago , with the Arduino SimpleFrequencyAudio library. Not so bad.

Obviously, it is not the perfect tuner, and as a musician (and engineer) , I would do it only for the fun.
If I need a guitar tuner whatever, I'm not ready to spend more than a ready one...

I suppose JonnyCas (where is the H missing ?) want to experiment...

Mike : Finalized & well documented, errors less, open source projects are not so many.
I'm sure i'm not the only member to think that instructable is a nice initiative.
It's at a minimum, a good source of inspiration for more mature projects.

And the website appearance at instructibles is just a mess of crappy adverts - always a sign to walk away and find something better.

Search hackaday first...

TheKikGen:
I'm sure i'm not the only member to think that instructable is a nice initiative.

And I am sure you are. I suggested you might be willing to help this member get his crap Instructables project working.
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=537897.new#new

::slight_smile:

It would be great if someone maintained a curated list of good instructables, but who would want to
wade through them all? I guess the better ones will show up higher in searches with a bit of luck.