Powering an embedded Arduino-compatible connecting to USB via FT232R

My circuit needs more power than USB can provide (3a) so it will always be connected to an external (regulated) source, but I'm not sure I understand how to keep the USB power separated from the circuit power, so they can't damage each other etc.

It looks like the MC33269D is the voltage regulator because a regular Arduino can run from 5-12 volts? I don't think I need that because the external power's already regulated to 5v 3a.

External power (via connector) requirement is around 7-12 not 5-12.

It looks like the LM358D and NDT2955 control powering the circuit from USB or external power? If I know I'll never power the circuit from USB can I just leave all that out?

Yes, you don't need to copy the auto-voltage switching circuit.

Is the fuse F1 just to keep the Duemilanove from drawing too much power from the USB host? I don't see one in the schematic for the Nano and since I won't be using host power can I leave it out?

Yes, the fuse is to protect from pulling too much current (>500ma) from the host PC. As you are supplying
power via a external voltage source you don't need to protect the PC USB power supply.

Finally is there anything else I need to do to protect the host from the circuit, and vise-versa?

No, as long as you aren't drawing current from the USB cable you should not need any extra protection. Note the use of 1k ohm resistors from the FTDI send/rec pins to the AVR rec/send pins, they are a useful isolation method if you need to use pins 0 and 1 for other purposes after you upload your sketch. If you are only going to use pins 0 and 1 for serial communications you don't have to use them.

As always, thanks for your help.

There are some awful cheap USB serial cables avalible on E-bay if you don't want to build the FTDI circuit. You probably can't get a FTDI chip as cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370532286388?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Lefty