Reading MOSI data from Bosch ASIC

Did 0x78H actually get past the compiler? It shouldn't My gcc (solaris and linux) dies with "error: invalid suffix "H" on integer constant" when I tried 0x78H.

Ha, no don't worry - it did not. I hadn't yet attempted to compile as I knew the code was far from complete, just earlier on I did have a check and no, it threw it out with the same error as you stated.
The problem is, looking at the sequence - I need to enter
~~0, 1, address bit 1, address bit 2, address bit 3, address bit 4, parity bit (not sure what this is), then any bit as it's don't care, followed by 8 random bits. Found some more info here. http://www.breitband-lambda.de/pages/lambda---english/controlling-the-cj125.php?lang=EN~~
However, I'm not sure how to enter those 4 address bits, as I know I've now got 0x78, but have no idea how to enter this as four bits?
I'm thinking perhaps, send a 0, send a 1, send a four bit byte that corresponds to 0x78 (is there such thing as a four bit byte?, then send the parity bit, then either a 1 or 0.

EDIT - You know when you try and work something out all day, then for some reason it clicks. Well, it's clicked.

The address MUST be of the format 01xxxxx-, where x is 0 or 1, and - is don't care.

So, converting ALL the possible hex addresses to 8 bit binary, they all start 01, so for example - the diag register of 0x78 is 01111000, so to read from that one simply transmits 01111000, followed by any other 8 bits.

However, how do I go about capturing the data bits that come back in response?