home automation with arduino and android

Can we also make an automated 'assisstant robot'? I need it to complete my homework :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it can be used for this too, if you use as "type" something like "plug" or "light" you'll have 2buttons (on/off). let me know

I had lot of mail last months, all with the same question: "how can i write the code for arduino?" down here the answer :slight_smile:

Just deployed a web app to generate automatically the code for arduino

http://domotichome.heroku.com/masters

it's in beta, please don't link it in other site because it will be moved from there.

Hope it will be helpful!
Please report bugs.

This is some fantastic stuff that you're doing and I really hope you continue to develop it.

I had a bit of trouble with the code that your creator made. It didn't seem to work, I couldn't get my Android to sync.

When I used that simpler light one that you posted on the 2nd or 3rd page that worked well. At least, I could switch the light on but not off.

The Android app is a little buggy and needs some work but it's a solid start. I've had a little bit of experience with electronics, I'm an avid Arduino user and a beginner with the programming. Keep up the good work, this will be a great project to follow.

Thanks.

@Arduino-Idea you are totally right i just fixed some stuff, try again please you can see what it's generated by the sync command typing in your browser
http://yourip/?out=all

let me know

Hi there, thanks for that.

I have tested it again and your code generator seems to work for me now.

I am using a Nexus One over 3G and can sync your app with my Arduino which listed the test LED for me.

The only issue I'm having is that when I try and use the lock or unlock buttons (LED on/off I'm assuming), I get an error saying:

"An error has occurred, check your internet connection. Is Arduino alive?"
(nothing appears in the serial monitor)

I can create an action using the LED which allows me to switch the LED on successfully but I can't see anyway to turn it off. The following appears in the serial monitor each time I press the action button in the app.

GET /?out=5&status=1 HTTP/1.1
5 HIGH

I have confirmed that everything is working by using the URL's to switch the LED on and off through my browser both locally on my PC and also over 3G on the phone browser.

I can see so much potential with this project, thank you so much for sharing it and spending so much time on it.

I'm getting confused

@Arduino-Idea thanks for testing it, i'll check the code generation for type "light", maybe the problem is in the android app, need to test. Stay tuned

@Divyanshu it's normal :slight_smile:

Thanks mate, I'm happy to test apk's etc for you if need be. Keep up the good work!

@Divyanshu - you are not alone mate, I am often banging my head against the wall but I learn tiny bit each day which keeps me going!

I added the support for:

• temperature sensor MCP9700A
  • CT sensor using the code of open energy monitor guys
    bb

Hello bl4d3,

at first let me say: Its a great job what you have done! I am watching for a few month to this side and now i am really lucky to see, that you still developing this cool system :wink:

The new function to generate the arduino code is very good and easy. I tried it and it works (right now, only in the browser).

Now i have two questions:

What do you think, how secure is this system when i integrate some arduinos with the code to my house and control them via my phone trough the internet (connect them to my route with dyndns)? Is it possible and good to add a function like &key=xyzXYZ or something like that?

The second question is, what does the checkbox "Send data to remote server?" do (in the arduino-code-generator)?

Thanks a lot and keep going on :wink:

On weekend i will try the Android app :smiley:

Poldi

Great, good work bl4d3.

If you get around to it, support for the DS18B20 One-wire temperature sensor would be a great addition!

As always, keep up the good work.

BT

@Poldi I know it is not a best practice open you front door through http call without encryption, in my mind i have this 2 solutions:

• embed a passowrd in each request and arduino will check it, but it always goes in clear...
  • set a MAC address filter on your router plus WPA-PSK2 key it should be quite safe

if anyone has a best idea I'm here!

@Arduino-Idea I'll do it no problem, could you provide me a little sketch about to read data from DS18B20? I don't have it here and I can test the code but, if you have time, you should do it :slight_smile:

EDIT
I forget a piece, tha "Send data to remote server" is used to upload automatically data read from sensors, the result is this

I'm looking for a cheap RoR hosting now

Hi bl4d3,

Here is all the information about the one wire protocol for the DS18B20 including a sketch and libraries. I have no idea when it comes to programming in C so can't help any further with that but everything you need should be on that page.

There are a couple of different models of these sensors but the above one is the newest one and they are pretty much the same anyway, this is all detailed at that link.

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/OneWire

With the security side of things. Personally, I think the risk is low and both those suggestions used together would work fine.

Another thought, with your remote server stuff, have you considered including the ability to send a feed to pachube to monitor and graph reading from the sensors?

Keep up the good work mate. Don't work too hard though, I think if you get a good, stable base product working and build on it from there this could become very popular!

Cheers,

BT

Hey bl4d3,

thanks for your reply!

Because i work in electronics, i can´t really say, which way is secure. I´ve learned programming by myself with the work with arduino. But I found something with QR-Codes we can check for this:

Another question:

Do you want to add more different Sensor an actors the people want to use, or do you thing it is possible to add a kind of "open format". I mean a "device" which shows values from the arduino. Then the users can program their own code with many sensors - or what ever they use - and in your Android-App you can define a field from type int etc...

Hi again,

for all german arduino-friends i wrote a little tutorial on my homepage.

@ bl4d3: because you don´t want direct links to your web app, i used only links to this site, to the android app and added a simple demo code. I hope its okay for you :wink:

I'll reply at you question ASAP thanks so much for the tutorial!
I made a quick video last night take a look

@Poldi have you in mind to create a sort of hardware for it? Try to explain better...i'm not good enough in electronics but if someone here it's can be a great idea

hey @ll :sunglasses:

I don´t have a special hardware in mind. What i mean is the ability to use any hardware you want, without the need of a special programming (arduino or android).
For this, we need some more data types and perhaps sliders and input-fields in the android-app. Then you can define a "analog-data-type" and control even the pwm-outputs of arduino by using the slider on your handy.
And when we could define a bar in the app (which goes from 0-100) it can get its values from any integer from arduino by mapping a sensor. Better: we can tell the data-range for the bar in the app.
Or: it is a text-field which shows var2 or int5 or so.

I hope you understand what i mean!?

Poldi :sunglasses: