Sparkfun Arduino Skinny

They just showed up on the new products blog, but they're sold out (or not in stock yet). Thoughts and opinions? Anyone tested one of these yet?

It's a square Lilypad and has a lot of unused real estate, it's a big but less expensive alternative to the stamp, maybe.

It seems a bit rushed and the description improvised, I wonder why they are in such a hurry to get it out there, particularly since they appear to have no stock available.

I noticed that they're almost sold out of Lilypad's, so I'm wondering if they plan on selling both, or just their square version.

Hmm... I don't see any pcb files there. :slight_smile:

And then there is This

Funny, I'm working up a Digikey order that has enough parts to convert one of my Arduinos to 3.3V for use with low voltage peripherals.

That's a nice, clean, simple board.

-j

I don't really see any use for this. There several ways to interface an "normal" Arduino to 3.3V peripherals. And since they made a "full-sized" Arduino board anyway, why didn't they use the PDIP-Version of the chip (which can be replaced in case of an "accident").

Eberhard

There several ways to interface an "normal" Arduino to 3.3V peripherals.

Yeah, but none of them are as easy as "just hook it up".

why didn't they use the PDIP-Version of the chip (which can be replaced in case of an "accident")

There is something to be said for a socketed uC, although I haven't fried one yet.

-j

I've been wondering:
Is there any interest in an arduino 3v shield? That is, a shield that stacks on top of a standard (5v) arduino and converts all the pins to 3v, bidirectional, including analogIn (via Aref). Don't know what it would cost, but the parts are readily available, and it would be a "just plug it in" solution.

eh?

I have order the Skinny.
I think 3.3v is not so bad. It is only neccessary to design 3.3v sketches.
It is as well.
What do you think?

Hi All,

We're reviewing the Skinny hardware here:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1212183207

It's a square Lilypad and has a lot of unused real estate, it's a big but less expensive alternative to the stamp, maybe.

It seems a bit rushed and the description improvised, I wonder why they are in such a hurry to get it out there, particularly since they appear to have no stock available.

I noticed that they're almost sold out of Lilypad's, so I'm wondering if they plan on selling both, or just their square version.

Can you re-read the description and let me know if it still seems rushed? You may have caught the description before I got the board to go live.

It is a essentially a lilypad, with a few niceties:
Power switch
On-board v-reg
battery connector

I wanted it to be size compatible with the Diecimila, hence the wasted real estate. We're actually sucking in the connectors and getting them back on 0.1" grid to please the Arduino team and to avoid confusion with user who have 5V shields.

-Nathan

PS: CTP is that you?

We're actually sucking in the connectors and getting them back on 0.1" grid to please the Arduino team and to avoid confusion with user who have 5V shields.
-Nathan

I'm glad to see the pins on a .1 grid = that makes shielding so easy.

I'd second the request above for some 5v-3v conversion options. If 5v SPI were available, might be nice.
Ben