Multiple language support?

Hello!
I'm a JavaScript programmer, and one thing (Actually, prolly the only thing) I don't like about Arduino is that its exclusively C++. I know its possible to use JS because of Johnny-Five, but that uses Node, and requires the board to remain connected to the computer. Would that be possible?

There are alternative IDE's and apps and we know that even the the Arduino offerings use Java in the back.

And why would you change the current C used for sketches and upset the whole Arduino ecosystem.
If I were to hazard a guess I would say the amount of C users for Arduino for outweigh the J5 users.

I find C a little easier to follow than Java btw but then again I prefer BASIC over C.

ballscrewbob:
There are alternative IDE's and apps and we know that even the the Arduino offerings use Java in the back.

And why would you change the current C used for sketches and upset the whole Arduino ecosystem.
If I were to hazard a guess I would say the amount of C users for Arduino for outweigh the J5 users.

I find C a little easier to follow than Java btw but then again I prefer BASIC over C.

There are alternative IDEs? in all my time searching "Programming Arduino with JS" I've never seen one.
I didn't mean to change it, just to be able to switch between JS and C/C++ at will. JS is easier to me than C++, so I prefer to use JS.
Ive always wanted to learn BASIC lol

You have to look at the basics of the Arduino to see why it is essentially C.

Controlling an Arduino with Java is certainly doable but as far as writing a sketch in Java it would still have to be processed into C. as it is originally based on WIRING.

Some of the newer boards that have linux based OS on them might be a target for your aspirations.

Shoot, so I'm guessing the UNO cant.

Nope certainly not the UNO...Unless you can get a java VM to run in such a small space (NOBEL PRIZE) :wink:

ballscrewbob:
Nope certainly not the UNO...Unless you can get a java VM to run in such a small space (NOBEL PRIZE) :wink:

That Nobel prize is mine! not. XD
jokes aside, guess ima have to learn C++. crap.

take comfort in the fact that the IDE is written in Java.

Deva_Rishi:
take comfort in the fact that the IDE is written in Java.

Comfort has been taken XD