Arduino web site very slow

Yeah, unlike some others, I don't see any DB connection failures, or at least, I have not seen one a quite some time. I do see many connection problems though, where the browser just sits there, trying to connect to arduino.cc. It doesn't matter when during the day, I notice it all the time, at the early morning (mountain time) before I leave for the office I would notice it. at the office, different network, different computer, I still notice it. When I get home in the evening till the wee hours of the morning, I notice the connection issues.

Like I said, it would work fine for a few minutes, maybe ten at the most, then suddenly start to slow down and stop ... about a minute or two later it would "wake up" again ...

Over the last two hours it has been almost impossible to read posts, or make replies. This isn't normal for web sites.

As for the Arduino forum web (service) providers:

just had another wobble about 10 minutes ago
got a very strange "oh god it's slow" screen
back again now (well obviously or I couldn't post!)

I also had a blow up about 5 mins ago, hit save for my reply and got a server error of some kind. Probably my best response to a posting question in the history of the arduino forum, now it's all just a fuzzy memory. Such a loss to the world. :smiley:

Lefty

retrolefty:
I also had a blow up about 5 mins ago, hit save for my reply and got a server error of some kind. Probably my best response to a posting question in the history of the arduino forum, now it's all just a fuzzy memory. Such a loss to the world. :smiley:

Lefty

ain't it always the way!

Right, that does it.

I was typing in a lengthy reply (to "how to debug") and I noted as I was typing that the page appeared to not have completed loading, but "that's OK" I thought, whatever.

Before I hit "send" these days I usually do "select all/copy" just in case (which is quite often). But this time .... ggrrrrrr ... after about 3 minutes all my typing was replaced by a message "the server was reset" or some such thing, and everything I typed was lost. And this was BEFORE hitting send!

This is absolute crap.

I'm not typing in that message again, the hell with it.

And again a complete forum stand-still. Everything else on arduino.cc was still working.

Start: 06:35 UTC
End: 06:39 UTC

And right now, 1:10pm Mountain Time, it's taking forever to even connect ... it has timed out once already. I've tried it from two different networks, one here (my house) and another remote network on the East Coast ... same deal.

OK, another major lag spike.

UTC time: Wednesday, 15 February 2012 at 8:45:53 AM

And this is what it looks like:

Kinda boring.

This is worse than playing an MMO game!

Website is acting up again.
It has loaded several blank pages and some pages take 30+ seconds to load intermittently.

March 13th, 2012 - 13:12:05 UTC

SMF database errors, Internel Server Errors ...

I'm finding it on the cusp a bit. Can work reasonably well most times. But I have got into the habit of saving everything I type before I hit Post, which I don't bother with on other forums.

It's slow, but not appallingly slow, most of the time.

Seems that there's a problem with you statistics server. In the most cases where the site is taking very long to load, it is hanging in a connection to http://stats.arduino.cc/piwik/.
Calling this site directly you get an error for "too many connections" from your database.
Maybe it's a good idea to disable this kind of statistic grawling for some time, until this problem is fixed.
With best regards,
Mario.

He's right. I just tried that link and it took something like 20 seconds for it to pop up a login screen. And personally I wouldn't mind if you disabled that stuff that pops up and notifies you of new posts. Those little windows disappear anyway before you have time to read more than one, and it must take up resources to do that.

Nick, do you have "Show a popup when you receive new messages?" checked? You can get to that option here... Arduino Forum

I think Nick doesn't talk about the PMs, but about replies notification. The one that comes floating out of the gray 'arduino' bar at the top. It is a nice effect, but personally I'd prefer if only a little icon / text showed up within the bar itself - not covering a whole of the screen.

That is unchecked. I read that as being for personal messages not forum messages. But in any case it is not checked. However I still get the pop-ups.

It is a nice effect, but personally I'd prefer if only a little icon / text showed up within the bar itself - not covering a whole of the screen.

I just don't think it is particularly useful. For one thing, if I go to the forum after being away for a while (eg. in the morning) a whole lot of them pop up. I follow the first one. By the time I have done that the others have gone. And they don't come back. So, I have to click "replies" to see the other ones anyway.

Really what would be more helpful would be a reply count (like a message count). Right now I see at the top RH corner:

1 new messages | unread posts | replies

It would be nice if it said "5 replies" - then I know to click on replies to see what they are. As it is, I click on it anyway (consuming server resources) just to find no-one has replied. And then, when I am away from the screen making coffee (or getting a beer) the pop-up appears telling me I have a reply, and then it goes away.

So the pop-up consumes resource (presumably for all users, all the time) for no particularly useful effect.

It would be nice if it said "5 replies" - then I know to click on replies to see what they are. As it is, I click on it anyway (consuming server resources) just to find no-one has replied. And then, when I am away from the screen making coffee (or getting a beer) the pop-up appears telling me I have a reply, and then it goes away.

So the pop-up consumes resource (presumably for all users, all the time) for no particularly useful effect.

FWIW, I totally agree.

That is unchecked. I read that as being for personal messages not forum messages.

Sorry about that.

But in any case it is not checked. However I still get the pop-ups.

Huh. I don't get the pop-ups and the forum performance is not too bad for me. I wonder if that's the culprit.

Hmmm. How do I reboot/reset the forum?