Go Down

Topic: What are people's "Day Jobs" on here? (Read 13664 times) previous topic - next topic

KrazeyNKrusty

I turn computers off and back on.

Job title is Senior Field Services Officer.  My organisation has been through a demerger, a 3-into-1 merger, a restructure and a second restructure in 5 years.  So from being a capable IT support manager, I now find my self overpaid and under utilised. One of my clients summed me up by saying I "Reboot a machine and if that doesn't work, I re-install an application and if that doesn't work, I re-image a machine and if that doesn't work, I replace the machine". In a restructure some people win, some people loose.  I have been lucky - I still have a job. Toss of the coin really.

Back in the days when I had stressful workloads, managing staff and customers and deadlines and unrealistic senior management, I would have longed for the job I have now.  Now I long for a job that makes me think.  A challenge.

Osgeld

on the flip side of that coin, as an an IT professional before IT professionals I recently had my work laptop take a dump

I knew what needed to be done, a week after I got it the roof leaked, dumped a ton of water into it while in sleep mode, blew out a USB port where I had a mouse plugged in

anyway flash forward a year later and the darn thing wont boot, I do the usual win7 restore / recovery process, I run the restore disk to put it back to factory (after backing my crap up) and still no go, booted linux off a cd ran for a week until I could get to a stopping point, with a billion smart errors.

send it to IT, and they do  generic install of win7 pro, missing my copy of office, so I have to purchace a new full copy of 2013 get set all back up darn well knowing that the hard drive was toast and surprise

3 weeks later my computer wont fkin boot, the beyond boot n restore guys are seriously lacking in this day and age and I am sick of doing their job as well as mine
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

wizdum

on the flip side of that coin, as an an IT professional before IT professionals I recently had my work laptop take a dump

I knew what needed to be done, a week after I got it the roof leaked, dumped a ton of water into it while in sleep mode, blew out a USB port where I had a mouse plugged in

anyway flash forward a year later and the darn thing wont boot, I do the usual win7 restore / recovery process, I run the restore disk to put it back to factory (after backing my crap up) and still no go, booted linux off a cd ran for a week until I could get to a stopping point, with a billion smart errors.

send it to IT, and they do  generic install of win7 pro, missing my copy of office, so I have to purchace a new full copy of 2013 get set all back up darn well knowing that the hard drive was toast and surprise

3 weeks later my computer wont fkin boot, the beyond boot n restore guys are seriously lacking in this day and age and I am sick of doing their job as well as mine

I prefer the "nuke and repave" method. I did work for a school that was set up like this on purpose though, and it worked quite well. All the machines were simple LTSP terminals. Trying to troubleshoot a specific machine made no sense when you could just grab another one out of the warehouse of machines we had and swap it out. Someone might attempt to go through the "bad" pile and fix them on a really slow day, but it wasn't really worth it.

Also, where do you work where they don't image machines? Who installs fresh copies of windows in a corporate environment, lol.

Everything is built so cheaply now, its almost never cost effective to try to repair something.

sbright33

Worked for Ford, Merck, Taco Bell.  Apple Assembly.  Oracle in the 80's.  Racing performance software for motorcycles.  Involved in the first Virus.  Wrote the Taco Bell drive thru software using 1985 embedded C recently.  If you eat at Taco Bell you've used my code!

Pedro147

I did not know what to do when I left school in 1972, so I became a Motor Mechanic  Bad decision, I hate grease  XD I have also worked in the Australian Public service Defence and Taxation dept's, Electricity Authority trainee linesman (yeah like that Glen Campbell song "I am a linesman for the county")
I always had an interest in electronics as my father was an Electronics Engineer in the RAAF. Growing up there was always a cro and signal generator lying around in the workshop. When I finally got my first computer in 2007 and then soon after got online and came across Arduino, I thought I have got to get me one of those and here I am.
http://www.pedroduino.com

mkrumpus

I've been a systems architect at a large American bank for many years.  I design large systems, set technology strategy, research new technologies, build prototypes, etc.  Earlier in my career I did microkernel design/coding in the defense industry.  I'm in my mid-forties, have bachelor's and master's degrees in computer science.  Started learning about electronics a few years ago which opened up a whole new world for me (thank you Arduino!), and built a small company selling my own Arduino shields and Arduino-based products (http://nootropicdesign.com).  In short, Arduino has been a very disruptive force in my life (in a good way!).  Five years ago, I NEVER would have guessed I'd be doing this.

sbright33

@nootropic- Same with me.  Never would have guessed.  Arduino and Imp.  No more big companies accounting software for me!

Go Up