Negative voltage

I recently got a LCD module as it was headed to the trash at work (cause the touch screen was smashed, which is just a add on module) I intended to be half way though a library by now, but after making a ribbon cable breakout header and blah blah blah ...

Its one of those units that require a negative voltage to drive the optics!

blah, ok I have a chip that takes 5v and inverts it to -5, so I know they exist, but I really didn't want to wait an extra half week to get a smd model (cause that was all that is available) for the voltages needed (up to -18)

goggling around I saw a few different ways of doing it, 1 using a 4000 chip (dont remember off hand) and another using a handful of pnp resistors, all seemed like a pita until I found this one which just uses a 555 timer, a couple extra caps and a couple of diodes (which can run upto 15 volts which is close enough for contrast)

so I made it up, not using the recommended components (10nf vs 1, 330uf vs 470, 2k2 vs 2k, and for the diodes I used some standard "power" silicon types) and while not perfect, and I am loosing a little using the silicon diodes, I have to say it is doing the job just fine

so check it out if you have the need

I've never really looked into it, but I just don't get negative voltage...

Isn't it just a power supply connected backwards? :stuck_out_tongue:

yea but how do you wire a power supply both backwards and frontwards at the same time :slight_smile: (ok its super easy if your using an AC source or batteries, but from a DC wall wart)

btw you would get a kick out of this, its a 240x64 glcd

its a 240x64 glcd

:open_mouth: cool! You'll have to post about it some time. What's the chipset? It's funny that I keep telling myself I shouldn't spend ~20 bucks on stuff I don't need (GLCD), and then I find myself placing a $25 dollar order for things I DEFINITELY don't need :P.

its using a toshiba T6963C chipset

and here is a pic from google images

I've never really looked into it, but I just don't get negative voltage...

Isn't it just a power supply connected backwards? Tongue

kind of, I think the easiest example is a centre tap on a battery connected as ground, the negative end would then become a negative voltage.

yea but how do you wire a power supply both backwards and frontwards at the same time Smiley (ok its super easy if your using an AC source or batteries, but from a DC wall wart)

Use two wall warts, or a dual isolated output one, connect them in series and use the centre wire that you just connected as ground.

Isn't it just a power supply connected backwards?

Umm, nope

It's funny that I keep telling myself I shouldn't spend ~20 bucks on stuff I don't need (GLCD), and then I find myself placing a $25 dollar order for things I DEFINITELY don't need

Well you know you need one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ART-USED-LCD-graphical-640x480-mono-8-4-EG9018C-/390223734243?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_212

about $12 including postage or something...

...until I found this one which just uses a 555 timer, a couple extra caps and a couple of diodes (which can run upto 15 volts which is close enough for contrast)

Where did you get the +15V from in the first place?
The 555 will just produce some square waves, which can also be produced by a spare Arduino PWM pin... As this will give you -5V only @10mA (whilst the 555 can deliver 100mA) an all purpose NPN transistor is also needed, collector to the higher + voltage.

For peeople interested in this: DC-DC Wandler mit PIC
It is not English but you need not understand the text, it's all in the diagrams :slight_smile:

Well you know you need one of these:

That's AWESOME! Any idea if it's EVER been interfaced to Arduino? :stuck_out_tongue: I suppose it'd be a challenge, but I'd probably fail haha

Where did you get the +15V from in the first place?

Im not, im dumping +12v from a wallwart

this thing is expects -18 for its darkest contrast, which is also useless cause then the screen is black, at -9 the contrast is actually just about perfect at -5 its barley visible unless the backlight is off and you hold it at a perfect angle

If I could have ran it off of -5 that would have been convenient, but nope, -11.x while not opaque is more than enough to blacken the entire screen and have plenty of room for adjustment

Please tel me that someone did run that lcd on arduino!

arent you going to need some type of HVT to run the CCFL?

arent you going to need some type of HVT to run the CCFL

Good catch. I hadn't noticed that it had a CCFL.

Good catch. I hadn't noticed that it had a CCFL.

*Negative voltage generator on board
*Inverter for CCFT on board
It's in the pic.

You only need 5v and 5v logic but the arduino would be a bit slow. Nobody has tried it with an arduino yet as far as I know but if I remember, i'll buy one in a few weeks. I doubt I'd get very far though. We need one of our resident LCD experts to buy one! :smiley:

Mowcius

*Negative voltage generator on board
*Inverter for CCFT on board

Again, nice catch ;). I need to read more carefully before posting. Yeah, I know NOTHING about how LCDs process data, so I'd be a bad one to experiment. So you don't even need any high (positive) voltages for the LCD drive?

I'm going to post a thread here in Bar Sport asking people who know what they're doing to please try it out ;D

[edit]http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1281907513/0[/edit]

So you don't even need any high (positive) voltages for the LCD drive?

Nope, 5v (probably quite a lot of it) and that's about it.

Nope, 5v (probably quite a lot of it) and that's about it.

Awesomeness!

Here's the thing that's going to kick your butt on that large monocrome LCD - from the datasheet (page 11/13):

"Since this graphic display unit contains no reflesh RAM, it requires data and timing pulse inputs even for a static display"

Obviously they meant "refresh RAM"...

So - if you can figure out a way to store 640x480 monochrome pixels on an ATMega (it would require 38400 bytes of RAM for a frame at 1bpp) - you would be halfway there; the other big question is whether the ATMega could refresh the display fast enough and/or keep up with the timing requirements.

Seems like no matter how you did it, you would have to make some kind of external RAM display refresh system; even a 2560 doesn't have enough RAM.

Unless I am reading something really wrong...

;D

Oh crap.

I didn't really read the datasheet...

That's a bummer.

you would have to make some kind of external RAM display refresh system

couldn't that just be as simple as a small ram chip, a counter to drive the address lines and a clock though?