Temperature dependent action

Hello,
I am looking to develop a matlab script that will link a thermometer to a battery powered heating element and activate or deactivate based upon certain temperature thresholds. It is essentially the same idea as a fish tank heater. If anyone could please help me get started with the development process it would be greatly appreciated.

Forgive my ignorance, but what has a Matlab script to do with Arduino?

Assuming it is relevant what sorts of parts do you think you will need for your project?

...R

It is relevant in the fact that I will be using matlab to drive the functions of the devices I'm hoping to link. I believe for this project I will need a thermometer which will activate an arduino motor to control a power source. Again I have very little experience with hardware so if you have any ideas about alternative approaches it would be much appreciated.

OK I spent a little of my time Googling "matlab arduino" and it seems you can control an Arduino with Matlab code rather than writing an Arduino sketch (if I understand things correctly).

I don't know anything about Matlab but I know a little about using Arduino and similar stuff such as PIC microcontrollers.

You mention a thermometer and "an Arduino motor to control a power source". Have you done any research on what sort of thermometers you can connect to an Arduino or how any computer can control power to a heater?

I am tempted to wonder if you have considered what facilities an Arduino has?

...R

You seem to be describing a thermostat. So far it's not obvious that you need any electronics to solve this problem, let alone a computer.