RealTerm

I have just downloaded RealTerm. What I want is a CSV file of data from the Arduino. RealTerm does that OK but it looks like it cannot display that data at the same time. It is either one or the other, but not both.

Can I configure it to display on screen simultaneously?

If not, is there a similar alternative that can?

I ask this because it appears that I cannot use the Arduino monitor at the same time as RealTerm.

you cant use the monitor and anything using the same com port at the same time

try putty
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Thanks.

I should have said I have already tried Putty and it isn't up to scratch. However, I went back to it and it isn't as bad as I thought. It is configurable, and it will display while recording. This certainly makes it useful in the debugging stage.

Both record directly to CSV

RealTerm has the advantage in that it can be run from a DOS command line. It also lifts date/time data from the local clock whereas PuTTY has to have that included in the data from the Arduino.

I use TeraTerm, I haven't got it installed at present so I can't test that for you but it may be worth a look.

Rob

For the windows world, I use brey terminal and it has display modes that allow showing the data in multiple manners at the same time as well as a ton of other features. It's free, and a small standalone exe program that one can carry around on a usb memory stick.

Thanks

Tera does what I ask and also starts with one click, but you have to set up the log file every time you start. Brey terminal looks interesting but AVG anti-virus doesn't like it so I'm not game to proceed.
I had another one called Terminal. It really was junk.

So, none I have tried are as slick to use as RealTerm, but RealTerm is the only one that cannot record and display simultaneously. It is also apparently the only one which can timestamp without any help from Arduino.

FWIW I would rate PuTTY for debugging and RealTerm for combat. I use the files with Office 2000. The date time does not fully show in the column but the information is there and you can reformat to show the seconds. This format does not stick if you append to the file. No information is lost but later versions of Excel may handle this better.