Leonardo USB Vendor/Product ID

Forgive me if there was significant discussion about this last year, or if there was another thread I should be reading. I wasn't able to locate discussion about this via search.

I know this was discussed in reference to the new USB interface on the UNO as well. The upshot of that discussion was that no one could make an Arduino UNO clone, put the same ATMega8u2 firmware on the USB interface chip, and use Arduino's VID/PID. They would need to use their own VID/PID, lose seamless integration (make user install several files specific to the device, rather than included with Arduino download).

I'm just checking to make sure this holds true with the Leonardo as well. It would be nice if the Leonardo bootloading code was perceived as a virtual Arduino device that resides within the single ATMega32u4 chip, and could be used by anyone. However, this seems unlikely based on the old Arduino UNO controversy.

If we can't make our own devices appear as an Arduino Leonardo, I believe I'll stick with a two-chip solution with the new cheaper FT230X device, which I have verified works well with a Diecimila type setup, especially at 3.3V.

I believe I'll stick with a two-chip solution with the new cheaper FT230X device

We went that way. :slight_smile:
Although the FT230X is 3.3V, the IO is 5V tolerant (up to 6.2V). And it's very cost effective around $1.98 (it was $1.72 last month).

I've just stumbled upon the FT230x chip, and this thread. I'm replying to it instead of starting a new one since it doesn't seem too old....

The chip looks like it will be easy to use in a circuit; have you had any problems?

I'm also interested in where you're getting them. I checked DigiKey, Mouser, Newark and Octopart; nobody seems to have it in stock. Any other leads?

Thanks in advance.

I've already used several in my projects, I guess they ran out, just wait for restock I guess, Digikey says expect them to restock 3rd of November 2012

Actually, there's a silicon bug in them 1st batch. So, they pull out all the stock from the distributors.
A bug in USB suspend mode. So, the new batch is ready in late October only.

One important thing to take note if you are using their SSOP package: the body is way much longer compared to normal SSOP package. It's like putting a 20-pin into a 24-pin package! Other than that, they are okay and way much cheaper. The IO is 5V tolerant (up to 6.2V although not specified in datasheet).

I've already used several in my projects,

Frank, have you tested the most minimal version (FT230XS) using the RTS instead of the DTR to perform a reset on Arduino?
Didn't managed to grab the FT230XS before it they pull them out of the stock.

Thanks for the info. Once they're available again I will get some and try them out.

48X24X48X:
Frank, have you tested the most minimal version (FT230XS) using the RTS instead of the DTR to perform a reset on Arduino?
Didn't managed to grab the FT230XS before it they pull them out of the stock.

Sorry, the boards I have used them on do not use flow control at all

I just ordered this

http://jim.sh/ftx/

It looks like it's using rev "B" of the chip with the USB suspend problem but this one will be just for a breadboard prototype so it shouldn't matter...Mouser says they should have some in stock on Oct 11 and I doubt I'll be done before that.

It looks like newer versions of avrdude drop cts along with dtr so I'm hoping I can just connect cts to the same reset circuit I've been using with the FT232RL to the Mega328p: DTR to a .1 uf cap, cap to 10K resistor + diode, those to RESET).

I'll post again after I have the board.

All,

I received the FT230X board today and am pleased to report it's working fine. I was wrong earlier about avrdude dropping cts for programming; it drops rts (along with dtr).

The only issue is the configurable pins don't match up to the documentation. FTDI's datasheet says the defaults are:

CB0-TXDEN, CB1-RXLED#, CB2-TXLED#, CB3-SLEEP#

The documentation on the board says the defaults are:

CB0-TXLED, CB1-SLEEP#, CB2-TXDEN, CB3-RXLED#

but the actual config from the one I received was:

CB0-TXDEN, CB1-RXLED#, CB2-TXLED#, CB3-TX+RXLED#

It's not a huge problem; FTDI has a free utility on their site (FT Prog) to inspect & change the settings (or you can ignore this altogether if you don't need the status lights).

Attached is a glamour shot.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions; and I look forward to saving $ (and board space) using this newer and smaller chip.