Go Down

Topic: questions in politics ,ethics and death . (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

Like everywhere else the USA has its good points and its bad points. I have visited a few times and enjoyed myself.

What worries me most are the US citizens that feel self-righteously correct about everything and who feel it is their god-given role in life to convert everyone else.

Those people also exist in every other country. But in the USA they can afford weapons - on the small personal scale and on the large military scale.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

larryd

Jul 09, 2016, 08:11 pm Last Edit: Jul 09, 2016, 08:58 pm by LarryD
IMO, it is: 'love of money', 'big business' and 'my religion is better than yours' that are the problems with the world.
OK, 'I am better than you so I deserve more that you' is right up there too.

No technical PMs.
The last thing you did is where you should start looking.

travis_farmer

IMO, it is: 'love of money', 'big business' and 'my religion is better than yours' that are the problems with the world.
OK, 'I am better than you so I deserve more that you' is right up there too.

I do love money. I don't have much of it, but I do love it. :D

don't care much for big business, as they tend to walk all over small business, such as my father and I (we are incorporated).

Not real big on religion.

and due to Major Depressive Disorder (the medicine resistant variety), I am not fully 'I am better than you so I deserve more that you'. kind of the opposite really, most days...

so with 1 out of 4, I am only 25% of what's wrong with the world. :D

~Travis
My GitHub: https://github.com/travisfarmer?tab=repositories
My website is where i organize my thoughts and ideas. feel free to visit it (http://tjfserver.ddns.net/).
My Radio Station: http://travisfarmer.caster.fm/ (if i am on-air)

Qdeathstar

1) Why does the american people care about their election even though they are relatively educated ?
isn't the US president just a Puppet or what ?
Not sure what the question is, but Americans care about elections because they are entertainment, like the Super Bowl. A sporting event of the mind. The president isn't a puppet. George W. got us into Iraq and Obama got us out (letting Isis in)

2) When the US creates things like ISIS , kills massive numbers of people and does not respect the humanity and rights of others , and the People stand still and do not stand against that in a serious and large manner with them supporting the acting mechanisms with their work and taxes and while they enjoy the wealth and power their country get's over that .. aren't they ethically responsible for that to ? and by that they then deserve a certain kind of punishment ?
it's kinda hard to punish incompetence. The problem is that we are a democracy, so we have to make compromises. We compromise so much that all substance is gone and all we are left with is talking points for the next election, And... well, we got guns... so it leads to these kinds of issues.

3) (the following has nothing to do with the previous questions) ... what accompanies your thoughts of death ? one man once said that we are like a slave that pushes a rock up a mountain .. with the slave being the consciousness and the rock being our minds , since we tend accumulate memories and experiences and knowledge and at the moment of death all that fades in a tragic and quite ironical manner ... i mean .. i know that that knowledge would give us some extra physical joy in life and some extra Euphoria but is that actually worth it ? aren't we then slaves of the pleasure that our minds gives us from time to time ... ?
knowledge doesn't fade, it is passed on. Your thesis is flawed.

A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

amine2

Jul 12, 2016, 04:12 am Last Edit: Jul 12, 2016, 04:13 am by amine2
Not sure what the question is, but Americans care about elections because they are entertainment, like the Super Bowl. A sporting event of the mind. The president isn't a puppet. George W. got us into Iraq and Obama got us out (letting Isis in)
do you even believe the "W got us in IRAQ" deal ? you must understand that through entering IRAQ and flaming the wars in Pakistan and the ME the US actually benefited itself in many ways , OIL , stimulating the WEAPON marked , having a better grip on the ME , and most importantly benefiting ISRAEL in many indirect manners .. now Obama never got you out , as the US is still in control of the whole situation ...
saying W did that and Obama did this is not correct , as the entity that got you into IRAQ is the same one that developed ISIS . what riddles me in this whole situation is the Role of IRAN ... every-time i set a hypothesis a counter-example hit's me like a brick . but the certain thing is the fact that IRAN and ISIS are killing moderate Sunnis everywhere , for some magical reason though ISIS never critically targets Shia's or Jews .
if i would've been a hypocritical american , i would not mind what the controlling entities are doing to be honest , since it's bringing more wealth and it's fueling the savage economy and consumerism . that system is though flawed , and on the long run it will end up damaging humanity .

it's kinda hard to punish incompetence. The problem is that we are a democracy, so we have to make compromises. We compromise so much that all substance is gone and all we are left with is talking points for the next election, And... well, we got guns... so it leads to these kinds of issues.
the united states is a democracy on paper .. now that is a fact that i will not argue with . but the ones who actually govern and rule are those with the biggest amount of money and power . the problem with that type of capitalism is the sealing for power is not in anyway limited , and of course throughout history those in power are always easily influenced with money or money like elements , i mean where do you think all that money the politicians have is coming from ? politicians get money from big businesses to serve them , that's how the process works , now the biggest problem is with the people , as they are the only ones that can stop all this but the don't since the temptations are too big , the big majority that can get the whole system down is mostly composed of farm animals (figure) so we won't see change for at least 100 years .
but the major issue is , what the government is doing  serves the people in a way ... it's only damaging everyone else , and the human fabric on the long run like i previously said ... so with all this we can conclude that on paper .. the US is actually a democratic country but if we go back the initial Greek philosophical definition of philosophy ... America is in no reasonable way a democratic country .

knowledge doesn't fade, it is passed on. Your thesis is flawed
Ok , let us not lie to ourselves , we are not doing any of the research for the greater good , we are doing it for our own benefit ... for things like appreciation , fame and so on that can flood the brain with happiness on the long run ... those who claim that they are doing research for moral reason or for the benefit of humanity are either lying or not realize how their indirect psychology works . i am not generalizing as you can see all of these things in books . the question is .. if you die , what's in it for you ? well ... nothing .
it's all about the melons .

Henry_Best

That's a loaded question.
It was mean to be.
Or, put another way, why would unevidenced beliefs require compassion?
Whilst some parts of some religions often try to get along with others and that's something I applaud.
Why would you applaud unevidenced beliefs?

There are just as many fanatical religions or parts thereof who refuse to get along peacefully even within the same religion and only have great harm in mind to anyone of another sect view or religion.
The "My stupid belief is better than your stupid belief." factions.

Some people don't have any beliefs and that's their prerogative too.
That is my position.

Grumpy_Mike

If it were only just this.
The problem is in the "my belief is the one and only true belief. If you do not share it exactly you are the enemy and must die."

Always the greatest disdain is reserved for those believes that are almost, but not quite, like their own. Like Lenin and Trotsky, Catholic and Protestant and of course Sunny and Share.

Robin2

Always the greatest disdain is reserved for those believes that are almost, but not quite, like their own.
Ain't that the sad truth.

I suspect, however, in many cases religious divisions are just a proxy for economic discrimination - the haves trying to protect themselves from the have-nots.

Same as dsicrimination based on skin colour.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

Jul 18, 2016, 03:13 pm Last Edit: Jul 18, 2016, 03:13 pm by Ballscrewbob
It was mean to be.
Or, put another way, why would unevidenced beliefs require compassion?Why would you applaud unevidenced beliefs?

That is my position.
@ Henry_Best

You answered your own question mostly.

As far as "unevidenced belief" Thats your view and one you are more than welcome to express.
However that does not detract from the higher majority who do believe and puts you in a minority view.
Although your personal view / belief is still valid to you.

Semi loaded question in return.

Do you believe there have been cover ups by governments or institutions over assassinations, aliens or any other similar  topic covered by the conspiracy theorists that are often touted without evidence ?

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Grumpy_Mike

I suspect, however, in many cases religious divisions are just a proxy for economic discrimination - the haves trying to protect themselves from the have-nots.

A banker, a worker, and in immigrant are in a room and a plate of 20 sandwiches are deliverer. The Banker takes nineteen of them and says to the worker,  "You better watch that immigrant, it looks like he is after your sandwich"

ballscrewbob

@ Grumpy_Mike

A great quote and probably sums up my distrust in the globalisation of trade and my favour of the requirements of the populace.

You only need to look as far as the TPP to see where we are heading.
Closed door deals done in backrooms and without real consultation are never a good thing in this aspect.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

amine2

- i think all the religions came from a single pre-historical one , you cannot explain the tendency in any other way . the main idea of religions is in someway justifiable , i for example believe in a God , but i am unable to grasp him or understand his nature , but the human mind is unable to assimilate a fourth dimension ... so how do you expect humans to fully grasp the notion of God ?

... as for the economical dilemma , ever since the beginning of the human civilization a more powerful minority has always ruled the majority of people , that's how the distribution of wealth and power works for some reason ... we should not expect that to change , instead we should take lessons from history .

pYro_65

As far as "unevidenced belief" Thats your view and one you are more than welcome to express.
However that does not detract from the higher majority who do believe and puts you in a minority view.
Although your personal view / belief is still valid to you..
This isn't a view or belief at all. It is simply being open minded enough to see the evidence what is there (or not there). And involves making a justified decision on what we know. Saying that something can't be explained, and then claiming it must be the result of a higher power is a gross contradiction and is the result of a closed minded view.

We're lucky that the scientific community is open minded enough to accept new evidence and even adopt entirely new ways of thinking which help us progress as intellectual beings. If everyone simply accepted a blind faith and gave up, we'd still be a very primitive civilization.

As for actual beliefs, people making a claim there is a god might be right, but since without evidence they can provide no valid justification for their claim, this ultimately gives no reason why anyone should accept it. The same applies to conspiracies and the acceptance of such a claim without evidence, and is ultimately on par with believing in supernatural beings.

Of course this does not apply to conspiracies and cover ups that have been exposed, and claim makers providing compelling evidence which one can draw a justified conclusion from.
Forum Mod anyone?
https://arduino.land/Moduino/

amine2

Jul 18, 2016, 05:05 pm Last Edit: Jul 18, 2016, 05:27 pm by amine2
This isn't a view or belief at all. It is simply being open minded enough to see the evidence what is there (or not there). And involves making a justified decision on what we know. Saying that something can't be explained, and then claiming it must be the result of a higher power is a gross contradiction and is the result of a closed minded view.

We're lucky that the scientific community is open minded enough to accept new evidence and even adopt entirely new ways of thinking which help us progress as intellectual beings. If everyone simply accepted a blind faith and gave up, we'd still be a very primitive civilization.

As for actual beliefs, people making a claim there is a god might be right, but since without evidence they can provide no valid justification for their claim, this ultimately gives no reason why anyone should accept it. The same applies to conspiracies and the acceptance of such a claim without evidence, and is ultimately on par with believing in supernatural beings.

Of course this does not apply to conspiracies and cover ups that have been exposed, and claim makers providing compelling evidence which one can draw a justified conclusion from.

hello , that's very interesting ... you must understand though that the human mind , and the decision making process of humans does not work like a binary electrical switch . you can't just be either here or there , we can believe in things in probabilities , which means that if you face two contradicting beliefs you can give a probability to each one and let those change everything new evidence appears , being blind folded regarding a certain opinion is never good . Now , for the past years and centuries scientific thought has been continuously making more powerful points than religion or super natural beliefs , but you should look deeper into science then you will see that ultra-dimensional explanations can explain or allow anything to happen in this 3 dimensional space  ... like i said , we should be open to anything as long as it's possible or probable .

ballscrewbob

@ pYro_65

Just to make my own position a bit clearer.

I don't believe in "creationism" but "evolution".
My mind has never been closed to the beliefs or expressions of others.
I truly believe there are other life forms out there somewhere. (intelligent or otherwise)
Never have I given to blind faith and have always sought to look at the other side of the coin. (to a fault)
A life long Sci-Fi fan would negate me being of a devout religion, not counting some of the "mother-ship" sects.
I do believe that science will answer questions and that religion wont and cant answer.
Certainly I do question some aspects of some faiths especially when that faith supports violence.

I am however willing to accept that there are those who believe more than I do in religion and get along with that regardless of specific faiths without telling them that its bunkum etc.

I believe there have been cover ups by governments or institutions and that we are often left in the dark about matters we should be made aware of.
I believe that justice can often be BOUGHT if you have enough money and that Justice is often simply a myth

Am I a nut job just because I believe in something that often comes out in the end, and is that a religion or belief that can always be de-bunked ?

Nobody proved to me that other life forms may exist or that there is not a higher power.
Scientists speculate that other forms of life exist just as religions speculate there is a higher form of life.

I simply look at both and get on with life.

Go Up