Go Down

Topic: what's behind all of this kindness ? (Read 2611 times) previous topic - next topic

amine2

Aug 09, 2016, 03:25 pm Last Edit: Aug 09, 2016, 03:26 pm by amine2
So i was reading a book the other day , and it says that if a human does something and does not expect a material return from it (directly or indirectly) then that person is not mentally normal .
so for the majority of people , if someone does a good deed or helps someone else in most cases he is expecting something in return , weather it's psychological or physical .

so what about all of these kind experts on the forums ? what are they expecting from helping others for free ?
it's all about the melons .

dally

So i was reading a book the other day , and
what about finding a job and/or subscribe to an university course?
physics? maths? umm? good books there, good university courses

amine2

Aug 09, 2016, 04:07 pm Last Edit: Aug 09, 2016, 04:10 pm by amine2
what about finding a job and/or subscribe to an university course?
physics? maths? umm? good books there, good university courses
i am a med-intern i do guard shifts twice a week , i think i deserve to read in my spare time .
and even when i don't have shifts , i do free-lance programming .

groundFungus

what are they expecting from helping others for free ?
I am no expert, but my answer is: It makes me feel useful.

Robin2

Aug 09, 2016, 04:11 pm Last Edit: Aug 09, 2016, 04:15 pm by Robin2
So i was reading a book the other day , and it says that if a human does something and does not expect a material return from it (directly or indirectly) then that person is not mentally normal .
What book?

That is a very strong statement.

My own view is that people do things to make themselves feel better. And that certainly does not require a material return - but there is some form of return.

There seems to be a wide range of things that make people feel better - from Mother Teresa to Isis butchers. Money is somewhere in there too - and helping people with their Arduino problems.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

amine2

I am no expert, but my answer is: It makes me feel useful.
thank you very much for your honest answer Sir .

amine2

What book?

My own view is that people do things to make themselves feel better. And that certainly does not require a material return - but there is some form of return.

There seems to be a wide range of things that make people feel better - from Mother Teresa to Isis butchers. Money is somewhere in there too - and helping people with their Arduino problems.

...R
here is the book Robin :

http://livre.fnac.com/a254434/Elsa-Triolet-Le-Cheval-roux-ou-les-Intentions-humaines

i don't know where to find it in english though .

yes , so the return would then be psychological it seems .

INTP

No such thing as altruism, because mirror neurons+conditioning.

Qdeathstar

Forum rep, showing your smarts, being a "good person" qed.
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

dally

people do things to make themselves feel better.
well, it happens in the universe of the Next Generation of Star Trek
where the technology is awesome, robots will cover our duties
and people will be free to do things *only* to make themselves feel better

dally

Forum rep, showing your smarts, being a "good person" qed.
frankly, if someone needs a forum to feel better (e.g. I am useful *because* I post)
it means he/she has no social life, and he/she'd better log out

msssltd

What book?

It is a very old 'anthropomorphic' question.  Can altruism truly exist?  To cut a long discussion short.  Probably not, as helping another person will indirectly contribute to the survival of the species.

Feeling better is a material return.  The material in question being a very small dose of some very powerful hormones.

68tjs

here is the book Robin :
http://livre.fnac.com/a254434/Elsa-Triolet-Le-Cheval-roux-ou-les-Intentions-humaines
Elsa Triolet was the companion of Louis Aragon, poet and communist philosopher. Elsa was also  communist  philosopher .
You're sure to have all understood what she wanted to express?
Do not you think that's a critical analysis of a lifestyle she wanted to denounce?

Robin2

Aug 09, 2016, 09:02 pm Last Edit: Aug 09, 2016, 09:02 pm by Robin2
survival of the species.
That is just an accidental by-product of survival of the individual. Read Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene. He also has a chapter called "Nice Guys Finish First"

@amine2, thanks for the link. I'm afraid I have spent the last 46 years forgetting what little French I learned in school.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

MAS3

For me, reading about other's problems makes me think of how to solve them (these problems need to appeal to my interests of course).
I'm hoping it will educate me too, next to the answer i might come up with to help the questioner.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

Go Up