whats with the attitude

Yes but note how no one actually gave any personal abuse like saying he was stupid or calling him numb nuts like the OP of this thread would have us believe.
It is clear from that thread and his other posts that he did not have the language skills to understand an answer.

Based on the time of the start of this thread and OP's recent discussions, this is apparently an example of a moderator behaving badly. :roll_eyes:

When the post is formatted it should check for "void ()" and if it's not Inside the code tag, refuse to post and instead link them to the rules about posting...

Should be straightforward enough?..

Then the mods can deal with troublemakers

Thinking about it, why not analyze the entire post and check for abusive language and red flag it.....

As for Coding Badly, he like Steve are just grumpy seen it all been there got the tshirt and help more grudgingly than to be genuine/helpfull....

I'm nice to everyone until they give me reason not to be, plenty here refuse to be nice to people unless they posses power/skill ehatever it may be, that they themselves do not possess. .. I treat all as equal and I'll gladly challenge anyones behaviour I have no interest in crawling or becoming a moderator no interest at all, I will help anyone I can and when people like mr grumpy attacks you for not knowing something or getting it wrong... ok fine I'm sorry for putting effort into understanding and trying to help...

Great someone who knows does! Now I know too.... shame about the verbal abuse given for trying to help, pointing it out is fine but why am I being chastised for it?.. ego trip?

Chagrin:
Based on the time of the start of this thread and OP's recent discussions, this is apparently an example of a moderator behaving badly. :roll_eyes:

Really? Which one?

(In case it is not clear, the person who was called an idiot, was the author of an article elsewhere, not the fellow posting here. This may have been misconstrued.)

I will help anyone I can and when people like mr grumpy attacks you for not knowing something or getting it wrong

There is a world of difference between not knowing something and asking advice about it and not knowing something and yet trying to give advice about it.

Or asking for advice, and when that is addressed, disputing that without any validity.

This has been mentioned in this thread as a possible cause of "grumpyness", certainly when that happens lots of times a day.
In mentioned thread, it happened multiple times already.
Remember that you are not the only one asking for attention each day when asking a question and try to put all available information in your question in the right format so your question can be addressed correctly.
I guess that should go in my signoff too as i see myself keeping mentioning that.

MAS3:
I guess that should go in my signoff too as i see myself keeping mentioning that.

As I recall, Nick Gammon wired up a Leonardo to act as a USB keyboard, with something like 15 buttons that would type in various canned answers (like pointers to his power saving and other articles). That way, he didn't even have to cut+paste, he just had to press a button.

I use two online forums a lot and the difference is night and day. The other forum(motorcycle brand) is conspicuously welcoming and unfailingly kind. This one doesn't suffer fools.

bill2009:
I use two online forums a lot and the difference is night and day. The other forum(motorcycle brand) is conspicuously welcoming and unfailingly kind. This one doesn't suffer fools.

Odd that can you provide a link to this forum of virtue.

We get many beginners posting here and praising the attitude and friendlessness of there experience. And yet there are others like you who think we are not so friendly. We are constant in what we do so the difference must be with the posters.

The thing about asking for help ( and I know I have done it myself on other forums ) is that there must be a modicum of the "I don't know this but you might can you help", modesty, instead of what I have seen as a modern attitude of "I don't understand so you must be telling me wrong".

Really late to chime in but I absolutely hate this forum's search function. I can't even find my own posts. I have hundred pages of them so I can't just do it with brute force. As a helper, I'd like to bookmark questions I answered so I can refer to them next time I see the same question. I can't cause there's not such function.

liudr:
Really late to chime in but I absolutely hate this forum's search function. I can't even find my own posts. I have hundred pages of them so I can't just do it with brute force. As a helper, I'd like to bookmark questions I answered so I can refer to them next time I see the same question. I can't cause there's not such function.

Use google: "+liudr +menu site:arduino.cc" The site attribute restricts the searches to the arduino site.
~1080 results

liudr:

Ditto.

You can find all your own posts under your profile

It isn't enough to want to be helpful. One should have a pretty good idea of what one is talking about. I've found that most people who post answers here -are- genuinely helpful, and will even readily acknowledge if an answer is incorrect or incomplete. I can only think of one person who was openly hostile and abusive to correction, and it was not a moderator.

The two example posts given are not indicative of a hostile ecosystem. Here's why:

The back-and-forth about CMOS gates is just an example of human perception and psychology. The replies were maybe a touch terse, but not what I (as a third party to the exchange) would call rude. It's easy to characterize those responses as rude, particularly from the OP's point of view, since his assertions are being challenged. It's a bit of a blow to the ego and can leave one feeling a bit defensive. This makes it more likely to interpret a terse post as hostile, and that's where the negative feedback loop kicks in. When other high-post-count contributors jump in, all in agreement, it starts to feel like a personal attack.

If I had been aware of that thread, I probably would have jumped in at some point to try and salvage it. I don't think the damage was irreparable, the OP just needed a neutral party to cast the opposing viewpoint in a warmer, fuzzier light. Without long-term trends to fall back on, it's easy to get a skewed perspective of the nature of a forum when your most recent interaction sent you away with your tail between your legs. Long-term, this place is very friendly, very accepting of each other, well-intentioned, and helpful.

Now, the other post -- the "HELP DESCRIBE THIS CODE, URGENT" one -- if taken in singular context, doesn't look very good. Lots of forum regulars vented their frustration on that one, but they are legitimate frustrations. It struck several nerves, inducing cringes among those that read it, and then all the (very human and understandable) replies induced further cringes when you think about the poor sap who caused it. Nonetheless, if the OP had come back even once and made amends for some of his transgressions, I have no doubt the response of the entire gang would have been supportive and kind.

That is NOT the case in many other communities I have frequented (and some I still do.)

Plus 1

AWOL:
@microcat: You'll no doubt have noted your "witty curmudgeon"s karma count, and how often he stays with a problem when others, myself included, have got bored with a thread.

Perhaps the forum needs a Karma Down option....

JimboZA:

AWOL:
@microcat: You'll no doubt have noted your "witty curmudgeon"s karma count, and how often he stays with a problem when others, myself included, have got bored with a thread.

Perhaps the forum needs a Karma Down option....

I disagree with that. It's in peoples nature to be quicker to do -- than ++.
There are some people on this forum that will never get a ++ from me for something they did. I'm pretty sure other people feel/act the same. So if "witty curmudgeon" karma is this high there are far more people who can appreciate his style/answers than there are who can don mine/yours.
So instead of trying to kill it by reducing the karma it may be better to learn from it.
Best regards
Jantje

I don't think anyone here helps "grudgingly". After all, we aren't being paid.