Arduino web site very slow

And right now, 1:10pm Mountain Time, it's taking forever to even connect ... it has timed out once already. I've tried it from two different networks, one here (my house) and another remote network on the East Coast ... same deal.

OK, another major lag spike.

UTC time: Wednesday, 15 February 2012 at 8:45:53 AM

And this is what it looks like:

Kinda boring.

This is worse than playing an MMO game!

Website is acting up again.
It has loaded several blank pages and some pages take 30+ seconds to load intermittently.

March 13th, 2012 - 13:12:05 UTC

SMF database errors, Internel Server Errors ...

I'm finding it on the cusp a bit. Can work reasonably well most times. But I have got into the habit of saving everything I type before I hit Post, which I don't bother with on other forums.

It's slow, but not appallingly slow, most of the time.

Seems that there's a problem with you statistics server. In the most cases where the site is taking very long to load, it is hanging in a connection to http://stats.arduino.cc/piwik/.
Calling this site directly you get an error for "too many connections" from your database.
Maybe it's a good idea to disable this kind of statistic grawling for some time, until this problem is fixed.
With best regards,
Mario.

He's right. I just tried that link and it took something like 20 seconds for it to pop up a login screen. And personally I wouldn't mind if you disabled that stuff that pops up and notifies you of new posts. Those little windows disappear anyway before you have time to read more than one, and it must take up resources to do that.

Nick, do you have "Show a popup when you receive new messages?" checked? You can get to that option here... Arduino Forum

I think Nick doesn't talk about the PMs, but about replies notification. The one that comes floating out of the gray 'arduino' bar at the top. It is a nice effect, but personally I'd prefer if only a little icon / text showed up within the bar itself - not covering a whole of the screen.

That is unchecked. I read that as being for personal messages not forum messages. But in any case it is not checked. However I still get the pop-ups.

It is a nice effect, but personally I'd prefer if only a little icon / text showed up within the bar itself - not covering a whole of the screen.

I just don't think it is particularly useful. For one thing, if I go to the forum after being away for a while (eg. in the morning) a whole lot of them pop up. I follow the first one. By the time I have done that the others have gone. And they don't come back. So, I have to click "replies" to see the other ones anyway.

Really what would be more helpful would be a reply count (like a message count). Right now I see at the top RH corner:

1 new messages | unread posts | replies

It would be nice if it said "5 replies" - then I know to click on replies to see what they are. As it is, I click on it anyway (consuming server resources) just to find no-one has replied. And then, when I am away from the screen making coffee (or getting a beer) the pop-up appears telling me I have a reply, and then it goes away.

So the pop-up consumes resource (presumably for all users, all the time) for no particularly useful effect.

It would be nice if it said "5 replies" - then I know to click on replies to see what they are. As it is, I click on it anyway (consuming server resources) just to find no-one has replied. And then, when I am away from the screen making coffee (or getting a beer) the pop-up appears telling me I have a reply, and then it goes away.

So the pop-up consumes resource (presumably for all users, all the time) for no particularly useful effect.

FWIW, I totally agree.

That is unchecked. I read that as being for personal messages not forum messages.

Sorry about that.

But in any case it is not checked. However I still get the pop-ups.

Huh. I don't get the pop-ups and the forum performance is not too bad for me. I wonder if that's the culprit.

Hmmm. How do I reboot/reset the forum?

XD

Oh thy irony!

I was trying to read the replies to this thread and the forum was hanging again.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 16:32 UTC

Take a look at this:

Another lag spike. And according to FireBug, 2 minutes 35 seconds downloading this:

http://arduino.cc/resources/jquery/plugins/bubblepopup/css/jquery.bubblepopup.v2.3.1.css?fin11

I've already stated earlier that I don't find the pop-up windows useful. And particularly so if it takes 2.5 minutes to generate. This is ridiculous. Can't we turn them off?

Everything else downloaded in, like, 30 milliseconds. Except maybe the jquery-1.4.4.min.js - take took around half a second.

True, i save things before i hit post

Finally sorted it, I think. After another lag spike today I went into AdBlockPlus which I had previously installed to get rid of, well, ads, and added this custom rule:

arduino.cc/resources/jquery/

That blocks the browser from trying go load that "popup" Javascript query. Now the pages seem to load lightning fast!

Got another massive lag spike just then (about 4:25 pm Australian EST summer time). I don't get the strong impression that the forum administrators care, because all my posts here are ignored, basically.

(About 5:25 am UTC on 29 March 2012).

Even though I use AdBlock to stop the 2.5 minute lag when it tries to look up my outstanding posts, that of course does not stop other people tying up the database while it tries to do it for them.

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=topic=85590.msg741467#msg741467 date=1332998940]
Got another massive lag spike just then (about 4:25 pm Australian EST summer time). I don't get the strong impression that the forum administrators care, because all my posts here are ignored, basically.

(About 5:25 am UTC on 29 March 2012).

Even though I use AdBlock to stop the 2.5 minute lag when it tries to look up my outstanding posts, that of course does not stop other people tying up the database while it tries to do it for them.
[/quote]I also saw a severe slowdown. I think that they really need to look into fixing the problem.