arduino to record and play back voices?

Hi,i am working on an idea using peoples conversations recorded and played back live, by which i mean recorded on the spot using a microphone, stored, and then played back through a speaker.

i did this once before using servos to control the buttons of a recording device by manually pressing them.
but i want to make a more reliable version that is one thing not a machine running a machine.
something i assume using specifically designed chips and a storage device?
i havnt started yet so any advice before i do start would be awesome.

thanks a lot !

So basically just an audio delay?

Is quality extremely important?

You need extra hardware for that, like a wave shield or voice shield.

Here are a few:

http://spikenzielabs.com/SpikenzieLabs/VoiceShield.html

But you could also use a digital voice recorder, and connect (reed)relays to the buttons. So the Arduino can operate the voice recorder.

There are various audio shields out there, some of which have recording capabilities. For example, the Rugged Audio Shield. I don't own this, but I have thought about getting it. https://shop.ruggedcircuits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=58

If quality is not important, and you just want 10 seconds or so, this might work for you (I got this to add a sound effect to a prop, but I haven't done much than just record one sound and play it back): http://www.ebay.com/itm/300670071550?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Krodal:

Here are a few:
Adafruit Wave Shield for Arduino Kit [v1.1] : ID 94 : $22.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
VoiceBox Shield - DEV-09799 - SparkFun Electronics
VoiceShield
EasyVR 3 Plus Shield for Arduino - COM-15453 - SparkFun Electronics

But you could also use a digital voice recorder, and connect (reed)relays to the buttons. So the Arduino can operate the voice recorder.

That's simpler, but he could also just read the sound into an analog pin and play it back on a PWM pin. If it is simply a delay, you just use a circular buffer that can store enough samples for the amount of time you wish to delay. If the delay is huge, then you will probably need to use an external SRAM to store the audio.

Krodal:

Here are a few:
Adafruit Wave Shield for Arduino Kit [v1.1] : ID 94 : $22.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
VoiceBox Shield - DEV-09799 - SparkFun Electronics

I don't think the first two products that you listed can record voice. They can play back recorded sounds, but I didn't recall that they had voice recording capability.

Hey thanks a lot everyone, sorry i took forever to reply i got distracted on another long project.

but now im back on this idea. quality is not that important to me but id like it to be at least regonsicable what is being said.

the idea is to record 5 times for about 7 seconds each time, and then play back the recording one at a time. when an object is dedected to be in front of the machine

then erase everything and start the recording process again.

ive looked at some sheilds and have started trying out an isd1700 chip. Thew sheilds ive seen dont seem to have recording ability though.

does anyone know of a projet where sound was recorded and instantly used on site?

thanks.
Sean