Air conditioner petition for UPS drivers!

I guess that is 180°F.

The hotest recorded weather temperature is around 130°F
Our cells start to die at around 110°F though we can survive much higher temperatures (a lot depends on wind/humidity).

It would not surprise me if a truck cab could reach 180°F with the windows closed in strong sun, but nobody is going to be sitting in it because that is literally oven hot.

My UPS doesn't need drivers. It works, straight out the box, to protect my computers from power-outs.
Although it gets warm, it doesn't get anywhere near 180o F. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

You would think acs in the truck would be better for UPS in terms of productivity, i wonder how much it adds to the cost of the truck per unit.... I’m guessing less than 500, not including maintenance costs..

Qdeathstar:
You would think acs in the truck would be better for UPS in terms of productivity, i wonder how much it adds to the cost of the truck per unit.... I’m guessing less than 500, not including maintenance costs..

I think that UPS is trying to save gas by telling its drivers to drive a certain way (or is that FeDex?). I don't know how they control productivity. Are they monitoring gasoline usage? My opinion is that if the drivers really want AC, they're gonna need more than one driver's petition to get AC. I also wonder how trucks in other delivery services are equiped.

IF the sun is shining, the UPS drivers have both doors open in the cab. They also wear short legged pants most of the year.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
... They also wear short legged pants most of the year.

Paul

The easier to fry them!

liuzengqiang:
**I think that UPS is trying to save gas by telling its drivers to drive a certain way (**or is that FeDex?). I don't know how they control productivity. Are they monitoring gasoline usage? My opinion is that if the drivers really want AC, they're gonna need more than one driver's petition to get AC. I also wonder how trucks in other delivery services are equiped.

UPS, cos I believe in the USA, you can do a right hand turn against a red traffic light.

In Australia that would be the equivalent of a left hand turn, not legal here unless there is a left turn green.

By trying to put more RHT into the route, they are not stopping and are actually running more smoothly.
Mythbusters tried the strategy and I think they found it had some advantages.

As for AirCon, if they had AC and were continually jumping out of a cool vehicle and into the heat then back into the cool, I'd say they would become very sick drivers.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

You still have to stop for a right on red. It's like a stop sign.

ChrisTenone:
You still have to stop for a right on red. It's like a stop sign.

Yes you have to halt then if its clear you can go through the light, but it does save fuel;
Virginia State Code
§ 46.2-835. Right turn on steady red light after stopping
, states...
“Notwithstanding the provisions of § 46.2-833, except where signs are placed prohibiting turns on steady red, vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal, after coming to a full stop, may cautiously enter the intersection and make a right turn.
Such turning traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrianslawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic using the intersection.”

Tom, you make a very good point. The shock is going to be bad. I know people that get AC-sick from getting out of AC-rooms and it's real. Best would be to keep a cooler full of water and energy drinks, wet towels for head and face, and one over the back of the neck like porters working docks. It's hard work driving a delivery truck in the summer, even in the northern parts of US.

ardly:
Yes you have to halt then if its clear you can go through the light, but it does save fuel;
Virginia State Code
§ 46.2-835. Right turn on steady red light after stopping
, states...
“Notwithstanding the provisions of § 46.2-833, except where signs are placed prohibiting turns on steady red, vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal, after coming to a full stop, may cautiously enter the intersection and make a right turn.
Such turning traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrianslawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic using the intersection.”

Yeah, that's the way it is here too. When I first moved here, I was just learning about driving, and I thought the concept of 'going' on a red light was bizarre. Now it's natural. The entire US is right on red friendly.

liuzengqiang:
... a cooler full of water and energy drinks ...

Or maybe a bottle of Adderall.

^sign me up

liuzengqiang:
Do trucks really get 180 degrees hot?

Somebody is yanking a chain rather HARD with that one. Tanks in the WWII African theatre battles didn't get that hot inside.

180F is overcooked for meat, I suspect that some TWAT saw that the engine coolant gets that hot and since the motor is INSIDE of the truck it's about an SJW thing to extend that to the whole truck.

I worked in a metal shop long ago where I'd be going from the AC cool engineering office out into the 105-110F summer shop heat back and forth for my shift and I can tell you that changing so much so often is very draining. It was easier to stay out in the shop than to duck back and forth.
Last I saw, the drivers do leave the trucks often without the benefit of a cool air tunnel all the way to delivery. Perhaps that will be demanded next, that's what these Social Petitions are about, getting a mob to make demands.

Our UPS drivers have air conditioning from September to June.

You don't live in Banff do you? I'm about to retire, and my gff wants to move to Banff. Is Banff cool?

Her second choice is Flagstaff. Go ffig?

Calgary is our city.
Sixty minutes from Banff.

I think Canmore (15 minutes from Banff) might be better than Banff.

Banff

Canmore

29°C yesterday
Winters are relatively mild, but we do get some minus 30s on some January days.
Chinooks through out the winters.

No haboobs, cockroaches, scorpions or snakes :wink:

ChrisTenone:
You don't live in Banff do you? I'm about to retire, and my gff wants to move to Banff. Is Banff cool?

Her second choice is Flagstaff. Go ffig?

Binge-watch Ice Pilots NWT with her and then start talking Yellowknife. See if she comes to her senses.
After years in Phoenix, Minnesota is probably way too cold half the year and there's this thing that unless you have to shovel SAND off your driveway and walks every time a storm arrives, you may be in for a shock at how much a snow blower costs.

Been to Calgary eons ago. Nice city center. Clean, free light rail in city center, free wifi at library back when wifi was only just a thing. I could see the mountains from the city center although I never went near the mountains. Visited some places. Made some friends. Chinook is great too in the dead of winter.

Well, it all sounds delightful! We both did childhood in Michigan, so are no strangers to the joys of winter.

No scorpions sounds good though. ...