Hacking Arduino

Have hacked you Arduino to improve new features or to fix minor bugs?. I am referring more to the hardware side.

Yes indeed, I have used the Arduino concept to make many designs. Some are shown here:
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

well, since you opened up the subject; what's the fastest I can overclock the 328P? I just bought the MintDuino from RS and I have a few other crystals (18.432MHz, 19.6608MHz, 25.175MHz and 28.322MHz). Has anyone tried overclocking? and what programming changes would be required?

I have not.

WinstonP:
well, since you opened up the subject; what's the fastest I can overclock the 328P? I just bought the MintDuino from RS and I have a few other crystals (18.432MHz, 19.6608MHz, 25.175MHz and 28.322MHz). Has anyone tried overclocking? and what programming changes would be required?

Well the 328p is rated to 20Mhz so only those two higher crystals would be an actual 'overclocking' situation. There have been reports in the past of people successfully overclocking so I'm pretty sure 25Mhz would not be a problem, 28Mhz who knows for sure? As far as programming changes required, there are two that come to mind off hand, one easy and one not so easy. First you would have to edit the boards.txt file to change the atmega328.build.f_cpu=16000000L value of the board you are using. Second a new bootloader would have to be recompiled and burned into the chip so that the baud rate used to upload new sketches would work with the non-standard clock speed. If however you upload sketches via a hardware ISP programmer, then you don't even need to use a bootloader on the chip.

Good luck;
Lefty

Thanx for the info. I'm basically just experimenting with making my own display controller. maybe the ability to add multiple 2 line and 4 line text displays to perform together.

Have hacked you Arduino to improve new features or to fix minor bugs?.

Nope, but then I make my own versions, therefore there are no bugs to fix :slight_smile:

Rob

You should try building your own Arduino. Some people manage even to over clock their Arduino's.

while not an arduino, but uses an 8 bit avr just like arduino the Uzebox is rolling along at 28.6Mhz, but at some point you gotta say why seeing the XMEGA series run at 32Mhz without OC(and there are arduino cores floating out there for them) and the need for speeds faster than that you cant beat the ARM based chips.