Copying a sketch from a microcontroller

Is it possible to copy a sketch from another microcontroller to your pc to edit

Sort of, but not really. Given enough effort you can get the binary machine code off the chip and into a PC editor, but (A) it won't be easy, and (B) it won't be pretty.

What you're asking for is the equivalent of saying "here's a cake; how can I get the eggs back out".

Getting the machine code back out is easy with atmel studio or avrdude if you have an isp programmer. There's no way to get the c code back though

Thank you for the replays

What you're asking for is the equivalent of saying "here's a cake; how can I get the eggs back out".

I like that one a lot. :wink:

Lefty

magagna:

Not really - he doesn't want the eggs, he wants the cake recipe.

modeller:

magagna:

But his is the funnier sound bite. :wink:

retrolefty:

modeller:

magagna:

But his is the funnier sound bite. :wink:

True, true ... :stuck_out_tongue:

So is there a tutorial somewhere on how I can use atmel studio or avrdude to read the data from a chip? I'm really interested in seeing if I can reverse engineer things like that...

GDH5:
So is there a tutorial somewhere on how I can use atmel studio or avrdude to read the data from a chip? I'm really interested in seeing if I can reverse engineer things like that...

Just grab a .hex file from any old sketch and start from there...after that you can move onto unknown sketches.

Take a look at6 the AVRDude tutorial here
http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avr/avrdude.html

Example:
This will copy the hexfile from arduino to the file test.hex

avrdude -pm328p -Pcom20 -carduino -D -U flash:r:test.hex:i

@GDH5,
You might be better off compiling a known sketch, then look at the .hex file that was created and see if you can work backwards from there.

There are decompiler programs such as this
https://www.hex-rays.com/products/decompiler/index.shtml

You can search for an 8-bit AVR version, some links here maybe:

Thanks for all the advice guys... So if I understand this correctly, I will be able to read the code from the chip, and create a hex file with its contents.

Then I should be able to use that hex file to program a new board, right? And assuming all the hardware is wired up the same, it will be an exact copy?

Also, once I have the hex file, can I convert it to C, so I can read its contents?

Then I should be able to use that hex file to program a new board, right?

Yes, in the example above you could do something like this:

avrdude -pm328p -Pcom20 -carduino -D -U flash:w:test.hex:i

r - read from flash
w - write to flash

Ofcource you will have to ensure that the fuses are the same

GDH5:
Also, once I have the hex file, can I convert it to C, so I can read its contents?

No.

Windows Vista/Win7/?Win8? copy script:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=177898.msg1320206#msg1320206

@ Mr Burnette... I feel as if I was back in elementary school... However Thank You Mr Burnette... Too

Doc

@Doc

I feel as if I was back in elementary school...

Oops... Is this a good thing?

There are days where I wish I were back in elementary school: In my time, the CK722 transistor was the hot electronic item... if you could get one. I saved my lawn cutting money for a month to order one. That was early 1960's and the CK722 was less than 10 years old... just a year younger than I. Imagine the electronic toys 50 years from now. Wow.

If there are any questions regarding the elementary copy script, I will gladly answer. If, on the other hand, I have completely exasperated you with such a simple script, my apologies. I find myself copying chips more often than I like so I devoted a few minutes to the archaic Windows batch processor.

• Ray