USB serial connection from Suse Linux

HI all,

I'm about to start using Arduino. I want to have my development environment running under Sun's Java on top of Suse 10.2 Linux. I don't yet have Arduino hardware or software in my hands - I'm just planning ahead.

It appears to me that I shall have to tell the kernel about the Arduino USB device by executing, as root:

modprobe -r usbserial
modprobe usbserial vendor=0xhhhh product=0xhhhh

where the hhhh values are those reported in the system log when I connect the Arduino device.
I shall then have to change the device access permissions so that root is not required.

Furthermore, if I want this all to to happen automatically, I shall need to add a udev rule file to /etc/udev/rules.d/... which will sense the connection and execute the above code.

Can anyone say if I'm on the right track, or missing the point completely?

Chris Haynes

On some Linux systems, the board just shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0 and doesn't require root privileges to access. I'm not sure about Suse, or how you'd even find out, short of trying it.

Thanks.

Maybe I'll just wait for the hardware to arrive and see what happens!

Chris

chris, be sure to grant uucp privileges for your account... you'll do this easily with yast... being able to upload only using the root account is a common symptom of this...

thanks,
isaac