Advice on optocoupler

Hi

In my project I need to trigger a Fuji disposable flash with my Arduino Uno. I got told to use a optoisolator/optocoupler to prevent damage to the board. The problem is that I do not have access to a lot of products due to my location, but what I have found is this:

Being new to electronics I not 100% sure I know what to look for, but under the "Coupler" heading it looks promising, again not 100% sure what to look for. The flash is said to give off approx. 200V, but lets say 200V to 300V to be safe, differnet websites seem to have different values for the same flash :|. The flash would only be triggered once or twice every few minutes. Any other recommendations on what to use?

Thanks for the help!

See if you can get hold of a MOC3020 optotriac.
Simple, output isn't polarised, and it is available in a DIP package.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately not, unless I order out the country. I take it your previous post means that the Sparkfun one i mention is not suitable?
My Multi-meter arrived this morning the Flash gives a reading of 204V so at least I now have a number to work with.

I take it your previous post means that the Sparkfun one i mention is not suitable?

Not unless you use it to trigger another device like and external triac - the collector-emitter breakdown voltage is much too low for your flash (70V vs. 240V).
See if you can find an opto-triac or opto-thyristor - these are usually designed for much higher voltages than transistors.

Thanks I will do that. :slight_smile: